Steel Roof - Overlapping Sheets

Old 08-03-11, 11:05 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel Roof - Overlapping Sheets

We are installing a complex steel roof using ProRib steel sheets (Menards), standard lengths are 36" nominal coverage, 9" on center rib spacing, .0142" thickness 29 gauge material, grade 80 steel and 16' long.

Four of our sheets need to be 19' long to cover the distance with one sheet. Can you overlap sheets to make up the distance or are seams on a steel roof a big no-no? (If so, why, ice build up, water leakage, visual, etc) Can I use a 16" sheet and add three feet of scrap to make a 19' sheet?

Custom lengths can be ordered, but with what I have on site and available, can I get away with overlapping the sheets? If I can overlap, I obviously need a support piece under the seams to screw to correct? How much overlap does there need to be 2", 6", 12"?

Thank you for your time,

Eric K. Olson
Briarz Studio

Old 08-04-11, 10:02 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Yes a support piece is needed for the splice. I overlap my metal 4 inches. The second piece needs to be over-top the first going up the roof toward the peak. In other words the first piece is installed from the drip edge toward the peak. Then the 2nd piece is installed above that piece with a 4 inch over-lap. You could apply some silicone caulk to the seam also if you wish. Just keep it at least 1 inch from the exposed edge and install the second piece of metal before the caulk sets up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: