Touch up paint on Aluminum Capping and removing adhesive

Old 08-24-11, 10:07 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Touch up paint on Aluminum Capping and removing adhesive

Recently when spray painting the railings around my porch, the black spray paint got onto the capping in two small areas. I was wondering what I can use to cover up the black spray paint. I believe the capping was white, but is slightly off white from being exposed to the outside for so many years. Would a spray paint work? I don't want to paint all the capping, just touch up the two spots. Also, duct tape was used to hang tarps and the adhesive is stuck on the capping. At one spot I tried Goof Off, but unfortunately it took the color off of the capping and now that spot is silver. What can I use to remove the adhesive that won't take the paint off?

Old 08-25-11, 02:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You might try using mineral spirits on the adhesive but depending on how old the aluminum is - it might remove the factory paint also

Spray paint will work on the aluminum, you could also brush paint on it. The big thing is removing any chalk that is on the metal because the paint won't bond well to chalk. Most any detergent along with a little elbow grease will remove the chalk. Don't forget to rinse well

Old 08-30-11, 02:09 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the adhesive is dried out and hardened, don't even try to dissolve it with a solvent. At best you'll just make it sticky again. Take a plastic putty knife and carefully scrape off as much as you can and clean the rest off with a good surface cleaner. If the paint comes of anyway, your paint was probably too oxidized to do much good, and it's time to repaint.

For removing spatter without damaging paint, you could try the old body shop standard, the clay bar. You can buy one at most auto parts stores. Just follow the directions on the package. The thing you have going for you is that since you didn't prep the surface, the paint won't adhere to it as well as the underlying paint, but again, if your paint was thoroughly oxidized to begin with, anything could make it come off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: