Name that roof vent style...

Old 08-31-11, 10:07 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Name that roof vent style...

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the "official" name of those square metal attic vents. I've heard them referred to them as "pot vents" but I have a feeling that's not what they're really called.

As a bonus, what do you think of them if you don't have a ridge vent or as an alternative to a ridge vent?

Thanx!

Old 09-01-11, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not sure what you have as the description is a little vague. Any vent applied to a roof surface is a potential leak, and will only evacuate the air to that height. A continuous ridge vent is passive and will evacuate all the air allowed in by y0ur accompanying soffit vent system. Ridge vents are too easy to install, requiring only a circular saw, pry bar and hammer to drive nails into the new ridge vent system.

Old 09-01-11, 05:08 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm just wondering what the "official" NAME of these style vents is.

(random web pic not the actual vent on our roof)

Our house already has these less than a foot from the ridge. The soffits are open at the bottom and not blocked to the attic. How does that compare with a ridge vent system?

Old 09-01-11, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We usually call them mushroom vents. Officially, don't know. How does the cubic foot vent space on all your vents combined compare to the combined cubic foot vent space on your soffits? They should be pretty equal. If you only have, say, three of these and they allow for 100 cu in. of air flow, do you have that or less in your soffits?

Old 09-01-11, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I have always just called them roof vents, as opposed to a ridge vent. I would also say they are equal. I have heard others say that you don't get that last little bit of hot air at the peak by not using a ridge vent but IMO the majority of the air is vented.

While roof/ridge vents do help cool down that attic, they are more for the winter to get warm air and moisture out of the attic to prevent condensation and ice dams. If you have been in an attic in the summer, you know it is freaking hot up there! No matter which vent you have.

A ridge vent would be easier in a retrofit application.

Old 09-01-11, 06:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I've only heard them called roof vents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: