Need help to locate leak in roof (pictures)

Old 09-01-11, 08:06 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help to locate leak in roof (pictures)

Hi,

We moved into our house a year ago. We just had our first leak with the Irene storm (probably because of the strong winds, but it wasn't hurricane strength here in Canada though). The previous owners told us that they did have a leak two years ago but had it fixed without further issues. Well it looks like whatever the fix was, it wasn't that great.

It's a cathedral ceiling so there's no attic to locate the leak. I'm posting a few pictures here hoping that an expert can tell me the most likely spot for a leak.

Thanks!

-Patrick

Old 09-01-11, 08:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It could be anywhere in those patches. The roof shingles look good.

Sometimes, I measure from 2 walls inside the house & transfer those numbers outside or open the ceiling inside where the it's damaged & look at the joists for signs of moisture.

Old 09-01-11, 08:25 PM
K
Thanks, what are my options then? Can I somehow repatch over the patches with some kind of caulking? I'm mainly looking for a temporary fix for the winter. I'll look into repairing it the proper way next summer but time is running out before winter here.

Old 09-01-11, 08:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you can get a hose up there to water test it, I would do that first. Start from the lowest point & go upwards. Have someone in the house to let you know if they see water. That way you don't have to re-patch everything. If you find the exact spot, remove the existing patch before you add anything.

I know winter is on it's way but it isn't that close. You have enough time to do that much.

Old 09-01-11, 08:52 PM
K
I thought about the water test but the problem is getting off the roof after it's all wet. The roof is pretty steep and even steeper on the other side.

What product should I use to re-patch? I might as well try to repatch every suspicious spot.

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-01-11, 09:22 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would use roofing tar. If you still want to do the water test, tie a rope around a tree on the other side of the house & around your waist. Don't tie it on the bumper of your car. I heard a story where the wife decided to go somewhere.

Old 09-07-11, 04:18 PM
S
Where does the leak show up ?

The front apron flashing / window looks kinda funky - that would be my guess

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: