Chicken Coop Roof

Old 09-05-11, 08:58 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Chicken Coop Roof

Guys,

I'm about to frame a small roof for a chicken coop I have. It is indeed small...I'm only cutting 4 common rafters.

I'm wondering about a few things:

1) Can I get by without using a ridge board, but just replacing the ridge board with some brackets between the rafters instead? I'm only one man so brackets seem much easier.

2) The framing text I have doesn't show any nail/screw connection at the bird's mouth cut. Basically, the roof just sits on top and nothing more. Is this correct or should the bird's mouth be nailed to the top of the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-11, 12:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
"Small" as in a few feet long, hopefully? It would be so much easier to keep things lined up if you used a ridge beam, but if you can control the brackets positioning until you get the decking on, then you're fine. At the bird's mouth, I would run a predrilled 3" screw down through the rafter into the plate. That is, unless you plan on removing the roof. That may be why there is no mention of fastening it down. Your call. I would probably allow some access for cleaning. It should be heavy enough to hold it's own, or you can figure in a fastener on either side to keep it tight until you clean it.

Old 09-05-11, 02:01 PM
J
Chandler, thanks. The roof will have a 4' span and a ridge board would run only 3'. I even considered just putting the rafters together on the ground, like trusses, and then just sitting them on top. May be a bad idea, I dunno.

If I do use a ridge board, how the heck do you keep everything steady enough to get some toenails in up the top without knocking the rafter out of line? Or really, I guess my question is the best way to brace a ridge board up in the first place.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-11, 04:07 PM
In big construction we use a cradle board on each end to receive the ridge beam. It is attached flat to the side of the structure and has a notch in it to accommodate the size of ridge. Then, after you have attached all your rafters to it and the lower part you can remove the cradles. It will be self supporting at that point. You never did say if the roof would be removed or not. If so, you should tie the rafters together at the bottom inside the structure to allow a point of pressure for the roof unit. Collar ties wouldn't hurt, either.

Old 09-06-11, 06:37 PM
J
That's a big help; thanks. I can do collar ties easy enough looks like. And I'll also put in two joists to connect the rafters to as well at the bottom.

I would like the option of removal so I'll go with this. These birds sh&)(*$ a lot!

Old 09-07-11, 07:04 AM
Yeah, we had free range chickens, built a really nice coop, kept it clean and they roost on the deck Go figure. I'll contain the next group. Dang that cleaning of the deck every week. They would roost there rain, snow, sleet, I don't care. 15 degrees! Stupid chickens!

Old 09-07-11, 10:00 AM
J
I made the mistake of not providing a roosting bar, just an upper enclosed compartment that serves as shelter and a nesting area.

Anyway, I'm adding the roof and trying to determine how to improve the 'doodoo' situation as well.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: