Roof and windows leaking

Old 09-09-11, 08:05 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof and windows leaking

Posting this here because it deals with waterproofing. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out an issue I am having with water coming into my house. We were hit pretty badly by Irene. Iím really not sure how the water came in, it could have been wind driven-rain or it could have come in through the windows. We had water come into the living room slash foyer, the master bedroom and a guest room. The master bedroom is on the second floor, the area with the three dormers. The living room slash foyer area is directly below the master bedroom on the first floor. The affected guest room is the two windows on the left side of the house above the garage.

To make a long story short, we had a water restoration company come out and they removed the baseboards, drywall and insulation under each of the two dormer windows. Only the baseboard directly under the guest room window was removed. I should also mention that only about a foot from the floor up of the drywall and insulation was removed in the master bedroom.

Since Irene, Iíve had a roofer make some minor repairs to my roof and Iíve also puttied the flashings of the left two dormers. Fast forward to today, weíve had a lot of rain over the past week and the baseboard area directly underneath the three windows I marked in red is wet to the touch. I also drew a yellow box around the gutters. Originally I thought my gutters were backing up, but that doesnít explain why I have an issue in the guest room. So now I believe the water might actually be coming in through windows.

Here is another photo of one of the windows in the master bedroom. Do anyone know what the name of that putty/caulk is in the window?

What do you all think, is it my windows or my roof or both?

Old 09-09-11, 08:08 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would test them with a pressure washer & not one of those little electric toys either. Rent a gas driven machine.

Old 09-09-11, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,581 Likes on 1,417 Posts
He already knows they leak Pulpo!

Leaks are almost ALWAYS traced back to window openings. But vinyl siding allows water to get behind it, so the leak above the garage is likely due to water getting in around the j-channels, where it then gets into the window opening.

On the dormers, you have a couple potential sources of leaks. The shingles usually have step flashings that individually flash each row of shingles. Other times a wide L shaped wall flashing is used, which goes under all the shingles along the dormer (these can potentially leak when water fans out under the shingles.) Both types of flashing are dependent on something acting as a counterflashing- in other words if those flashings are tucked behind the siding, and the siding leaks, then the flashing will leak. So this may not be a roof problem, its more than likely that it's a siding problem, where water getting behind the siding is causing the leak.

The biggest problem area is at the bottom corner of the siding, where the bottom j-channel and side j-channel meet. A LARGE amount of water is being funnelled to this one spot, and if it isn't flashed correctly it will be a good sized leak. The only real way to tell if this area is flashed correctly is to remove the siding on the sides and face of your dormer.

My suggestion would be to have a siding company come out, remove the siding, ensure that you have a WRB (housewrap) installed on the house (believe it or not many houses don't have anything under the siding) and then have them use window and door flashing tape to seal all your windows. (the tape on the sides of the windows can be adhered to the housewrap to make a perfectly water-tight seal, but the tops of windows should be adhered directly to the sheathing, then the housewrap laps over that.)

Your roof flashings and wall flashings could also be sealed to the sheathing with flashing tape, then the housewrap should be lapped over the top of that.

The idea is that your house should not leak even if there was no siding or trim on. That's the definition of a true WRB. (weather resistive barrier) Vinyl siding and caulk are just for looks, they don't keep water out.

You might also have a leak that you don't know about on the left end of that gutter, near your front door. Spots like that are notorious for leaks if not done correctly. Its similar to the sides of your dormers, but in this case the water coming down the bottom j-channel is directed right behind the siding where it fans out. I'd also have that checked out by removing the piece of siding that is notched around the gutter and roof. A kickout flashing would help, or you can use a large flashing (installed behind that piece of siding) that goes behind the j-channel and that will direct water back out to the weep holes by placing it over the nailing flange of the piece of siding that is directly below the one you took off.

Old 09-09-11, 04:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What do you all think, is it my windows or my roof or both?

XSleeper: That ^^ was his last question. Apparently, he doesn't already know they leak.

Old 09-09-11, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,581 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Ah, I see your point. But the thread is titled, "roof and windows leaking". heh heh!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: