Roof leaking Around Chimney.

Old 09-24-11, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Roof leaking Around Chimney.

I just sold my house a month ago. When the inspector came through during Hurricane Irene that drenched PA, the water was literally dripping off a wooden crossmember in the attic around the chimney. So I went up with my neighbor and tarred the heck out of where the tin/roof/chimney meet. I went up 2 days later, scraped the old paint and repainted it. Well I went to the attic again on Friday and it is still leaking. I can post a pic tomorrow of where it is leaking. The leak is coming from the upper side of the Chimney - the side where the tin is and toward the peak.

Before tarring I did inspect things, even though I am no pro, the tin seemed to be in good shape. No holes, etc. Who has some suggestions. It needs fixed before Oct. 31st. I would like to take care of this myself b/c I sold the house for way less than I put into it..which is another long boring story like this! HAHA Thanks - Chris

Old 09-27-11, 06:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How does the mortar look where the flashing meets the chimney?

Old 09-27-11, 11:23 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well I just called someone. I'm tired of getting up on the roof and risking my life. HAHA I hate heights. Someone said it could be the chimney itself but I caulked all the area's that I thought looked trouble some or patched w/ tar. The chimney is in rough shape I think personally....its cinder block..not concrete or brick. Also its not step flashing I don't think....the tin just ran at the angle of the roof along the chimney.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: