Gutter Guard Installation

Old 09-26-11, 01:29 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter Guard Installation

I bought some Amaramax solid, PVC Gutter Guards, and the online instructions, and photos from other sites, suggest different install procedure.
Amaramax just states to slip guards under the shingles.
My home has some of these and part are installed under the single top shingle and some are installed under all layers.
I don't really think it matters but under the top shingle only would apply less downward pressure on the Guards because the edges of the shingles are sagged down app. 3/4" into the gutter.
What would be the best choice?

Old 09-26-11, 01:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I'd try to nail them to a solid surface, thus I'd go under all layers and put them on top of the sheathing.

Old 09-26-11, 02:04 PM
G
Nothing I have seen or read suggest nailing?? Why would you recommend that?
It is suggested that the outside edge--connected to gutter--should have each end secured with a small screw (In windy climates).
Originally Posted by mitch17
I'd try to nail them to a solid surface, thus I'd go under all layers and put them on top of the sheathing.

Old 09-26-11, 02:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
So they just sit there? I assumed some kind of fastener would be involved.

Old 09-26-11, 02:22 PM
G
They fasten, or clip to the underside interior of the outside edge, and the top area lays on the top outside edge.. Shingles hold the other edge.
My question is --under all shingles or top shingle? THANKS-- for your replys
Originally Posted by mitch17
So they just sit there? I assumed some kind of fastener would be involved.

Old 09-26-11, 02:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
If all that's holding it on the roof side is the shingles, I'd want it under as much weight as possible.

Old 09-26-11, 05:46 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Giles

When you say all the shingles, I assume you are talking about the starter course, and then the top layer of shingles itself, yes. If thats the case, put the gutter guard under the starter course if you can. Definitely use screws at the ends of the guard to screw into the gutters. Any areas of the country will encounter high winds at some time, and they will blow away if you dont screw them down. Buy a slotted hole punch to make holes in the gutter guard and put the screws in the middle of the slots. Dont set the screws all the way, leave them a out a little so the guard can slide under the screw heads. That'll give the guard room for expansion and contraction.

Old 09-26-11, 07:07 PM
G
Yes, the home has a single roof so that would be Two shingles. I think you are correct and I will install screws into the gutter and try to install under both shingles. Someone in another forum said they had to trim some material off the edge to make it easier to install under the shingles---THANKS for suggestions

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: