Vestibule roof leaking below eave of house roof

Old 09-28-11, 11:19 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vestibule roof leaking below eave of house roof

This is such an unusual problem that I didn't know what title to put above.

I own a manufactured home. The prior owner added a nice entryway vestibule. It has started to pull away from the house slightly, which may eventually need to be shored up.

My more immediate problem - the thing that caused me to notice the sinking - is that the roof of the vestibule has started to leak.

The vestibule roof is at a slightly flatter pitch than the house roof.

There is only 1" of roof overhang above the vestibule roof, and there is only 1" vertical space between the two. There's also a very short flashing.

I could cut a piece of flashing and slide it under the felt of the house roof, making it long enough to divert rain and snowmelt from the place where the vestibule touches the house, but it is a west exposure, we get very high winds and I'm afraid that the longer the flashing extends over the vestibule, the greater the chance of wind damage.

My other problem is that I don't see an acceptable way to fasten the new flashing in place.

Any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Old 09-29-11, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Sorry for the delayed response. We are usually faster than this. One thing that would really help us is for you to post pictures of the vestibule so we can see what you see. Pix from the top, underside and from out in the yard would be a plus. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
A side note, the less fastening flashing has, the happier it is. More holes, more leaks. We'll wait on the pix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: