Carport roof replacement

Old 10-16-11, 08:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carport roof replacement

I'M gettiny tired of getting soaked when I put my daughter in her car seat and it's raining so I'm going to replace the roofing. Also the shed where all my tools are is under the leaky roof as well. I am going to replace with rolled roofing, mainly due to cost restrictions, but I'm wondering if I need felt? I want to fully enclose the carport and eventually make a garage so I maily just want to stop the leaks for now. I would just use tar but the roofing is nearly gone so it would require gallons. Also, the roof is not plywood, it's 1x4's or 6's and some are warped pretty bad so eventually I want to replace all that with plywood. That's the main reason I'm going for as cheap as possible right now, the roof will only likely be there for 2 or 3 years and I don't want to spend money twice. So to felt or not to felt?

Old 10-17-11, 01:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain, as I have a leaky carport roof too. I would think just the roll roofing, properly installed, should give you 2 or 3 years of decent service. However, since felt is cheap ($21 for a 30# roll, the last time I bought any), you might want to take the plunge and use it. Especially if the 2 or 3 years turns into 10 or 20.

Should I be fortunate to live long enough, my plan is to bull-doze the whole carport and replace it with a nice double garage, bonus room above. Ah yes, the dreams continue. . . .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: