Shingles falling off, need user opinions!

Old 10-23-11, 10:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shingles falling off, need user opinions!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an opinion from some one here. I recently just bought this house and have noticed on the roof
that some of the shingles have come off. I have posted pictures here for you to see. Do you think I need to
have these spots patched up or do you think I should be okay? I was going to call someone to come in and patch
up those spots but am just wondering if it is necessary or not.

Also my chimney and there are some other places around my house that the wood is rotting. I was told just to put
some paint on it to protect it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 10-24-11, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,102 Upvotes on 1,882 Posts
Yes, you need to have the shingles replaced/repaired. The rest of the roof looks pretty good. Check in the basement, garage or crawl space to see if any of the original shingles were left behind. It should be an easy repair.

Painting the wood where it is rotting at the chimney will be nothing more than cosmetic. It looks like there is no flashing or it is done improperly. You should see metal flashing where the chimney meets the roof, not wood touching the shingles. It looks like there might be flashing under there but the wood is too close to the shingles and is getting wet. The flashing is a bigger job than the shingles but still pretty minor if the wood underneath is still in decent shape. The worst would be if they find the rot is worse than expected but that's a repair that would need to be done anyhow.

Both of these issues are better & cheaper to fix as soon as possible. The longer it goes the more damage you will get, driving up the repair cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: