Do awnings require ventilation?

Old 10-24-11, 01:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do awnings require ventilation?

https://www.msu.edu/~joshd/images/north.png

In the drawing above, you can see an "awning" on my house that sticks out about a foot from the wall. The roof is shingled, but currently there is no ventilation whatsoever. I'm going to re-shingle it and was wondering if I should cut a ridge vent and work in some sort of opening along the eaves.

Old 10-24-11, 03:25 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi mears, replacing shingles is one of those prime opportunities to take care of venting. Now the question is, what do you want/need. A ridge vent needs a lower vent to allow cold air to flow in, pushing the warm air out. Contrary to the belief that warm air rises, it doesn't and must be pushed up by invading colder heavier air. They make edge vents, but for those of us in cold country the possibility of ice build up could create an unknown result, blocked vents, or water leaks.

I have also seen lower gable vents in each corner, 4 total down near the soffits.

The more drastic approach is to add an overhang, ie extend the rafter tips to create a soffit area for venting.

They also make drip edge vents which can be placed along the edge at each gable. Since water rare flows over the ends of the house, ice build up would be less of a concern.

Bud

Old 10-24-11, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I agree with Bud. If you don't have soffits, then a ridge vent will need to be supplemented with lower air intake in some manner.

Old 10-25-11, 08:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I guess my question was, do I even need to bother. For eave venting, I was planning on using either SmartVent or In-Vent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: