do it yourself guttering?

Old 11-02-11, 09:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do it yourself guttering?

my house (dr horton tract house) is not guttered..most in the neighborhood are not..the only visible problem that presents is splashing from whatever surface the roof water falls onto..i have some water damage at a rear door (wooden porch deck) and front door (concrete stoop)..consequently, it seems to me that i could simply gutter those spots that the roofline channels water to..i would like to "spot gutter" four spots and it will only require about 20 feet of guttering and two 90 degree joints.

i am marginally "handy" and attempt to do minor repairs and plumbing jobs myself..i suspect that, with a bit of research, i could do the guttering myself..but i have never done gutter work..and i am concerned that the initial shoddy construction done by dr horton may make this a more difficult job than i realize..presuming they used the cheapest possible materials for fascia, roofing, etc., what do i need to be particularly careful about?.any recommended online info sources/videos?

Old 11-02-11, 06:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You mentioned fascia, so I take it that there is a fascia board to use as a nailer. If that's correct, make sure that it's strong & no rot. You can buy everything at home depot.

If there is no fascia board & straps have to be nailed to the roof, the job becomes a little harder. In that case, the flexibility of the shingles come into play. How old is the roof?

Old 11-02-11, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Searching Google "Installing Gutters" will get you tons of hits and videos to watch.. Installing gutters is pretty straight forward.

Old 11-03-11, 10:46 AM
J
the house is 10 years old..the shingles look to be in decent shape..and yes, it has a fascia..haven't checked its condition..due to previous experiences, halfway expect it to be painted gypsum board.

i'll google it..wanna do it myself, but i am uneasy over 6" off the ground..thankfully, my wife gave me a 12' werner stepladder last Christmas..nice ladder.

thx for responses.

Old 11-09-11, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
With just short runs, you shouldn't have many problems with your project. I'd suggest trying to locate the gutter nails (I prefer longer ledger screws, as they tend not to loosen up over time) to tie into the rafter-tails, instead of just relying on the fascia thickness for enough "grab."

If working at height bothers you, start slow and move carefully. The more you do, the more comfortable you'll get. I was lucky, as my Ma taught me early-on, the importance of not looking down as we walked to her part-time crossing guard job together, over a 60-ft. tall railroad trestle (I was still in kindergarten, 5 years old).

Old 11-11-11, 06:51 AM
J
'ppreciate the advice, bridgeman..looks like next weekend will mark my attempt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: