Roof Repair

Old 11-15-11, 02:52 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Repair

We have a leak around the chimmney that comes into the house. Last winter we noticed it because the carpet was getting wet by the fireplace. Once its stopped raining, we tried to get a roofer out with no luck. We kinda forgot about the leak till a last week when we had a breif shower. Anyways, I took up the roofing tiles infront of the chimmney, the felt it slightly curled as shown in the pictures and there are cracks in the felt where the nails where as shown on pic 313.

I am assuming this is where the leak is comming in at, along this edge beucase inside the house, I can see water along the 2x4 at the top of the framing.

There is a hole on the front side of the chimmney in the back below the flashing as shown in pic 314/315.

I went down about 15 ft and the felt isnt curled, but i did notice the same nail pops/cracks down there. Is is normal for the felt to do that? The roof is the orginial roof from when the house was built in 2000 or 2001. I am running into the same problem now with roofers not calling back.

Question on the repair. I am assumming they will pull the tile around the chimney and replace the felt/flashing around the chimney. Is this going to only be a bandaid fix if the felt is damaged farther down and will start leaking the future?

Old 11-15-11, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I don't know enough about tile roofs to speak from experience, but here are a few things to think about:

From my home inspection days, I learned that in general, roof leaks associated with chimneys are caused by improper flashing installation. The "flat" leg of the flashing is usually oriented to lay on top of shingles, to prevent water from ever getting down to the felt. If tile roofs are flashed differently, such that the flashing is under the tile, then yes, you can fully expect to experience more leaks in the future. Maybe a real roofer will chime in shortly, to set us both straight.

Can you tell whether the felt is 15-lb. vs. 30-lb.? If yours is the lighter of the 2, then you can also expect it to fail sooner. I worked with 15-lb. felt (owner-furnished) on just one repair job a few years ago, and vowed never again to go that route--way too flimsy and prone to tearing, even when new. And I suspect it tends to dry out and become brittle more quickly than the 30-lb. does.

It's a shame you can't get get any roofers to return your calls--business must be very good. Maybe you should shop around for a knowledgeable handy-person (with good references) who isn't afraid of small jobs.

Old 11-15-11, 07:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Most roofing companies don't want those jobs but here, I found a company called leak stoppers who specialize in those things. There maybe a similar company near you. If not, use some roofing tar to cover the places where you think the water may be entering. Maybe some caulking on the tile will help as well.

Old 11-17-11, 04:20 AM
O
thanks all. I think the felt is 30lb, though I'm not sure, its pretty thick. I got another roofer to try calling so we will see. IF not, i'm going to pull the tile up and see if i see anything on front side of the chimney where the water rolls down the roofer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: