Roof question

Old 11-16-11, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof question

I am in a little bit of a dilema. I have a 20 year warranty shingled roof. It is around 10-12 years old. Over the past 3 years I have had about 3-4 leaks in various parts of the house. My question is what are the alternatives to getting a new roof. I just dont currently have the funds to aford a brand new roof. Is there anything that can help me get by for a while without be too expensive and actually work.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 03:43 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Roof

Who installed the roof?.....................

Old 11-16-11, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
What were the reasons for the leaks?

Old 11-16-11, 05:32 PM
not sure who installed. i do know there was no felt paper installed underneath for whatever reason. most of leaks come from cracked shingles..missing shingle. There is also about 10 small brackets on the roof where it looks like someone had christmas decorations or solar panels. Couple leaks came where this brackets were placed.

Old 11-17-11, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
I've never understood why anyone would skip the roofing felt

A little bit of silicone caulk should stop the leaks if it's just from the brackets. You could also apply some roofing tar as a cheap [but maybe unsightly] fix.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-02-12, 08:58 PM
That is the reason " NO FELT". I have heard of this in Canada but a roof is a roof no matter where you live. Felt is also known as a water barrier and shingles are also known as a shield. Shingles protect the felt from the elements; rain, snow hail, wind, etc.. etc.. Also shingles soak up water thats why they call them compositon shingles. If you are on a budget I would get a roll of roll roofing its like a shingle but in a roll form and cut you out some pieces where the leaks are and cover them making sure you put the top of the roll under existing shingles and seal your nail with a polyurthane caulk and save some money and get it done asap. Good Luck

Last edited by roofersontop; 02-02-12 at 09:01 PM. Reason: misspelled word