ice dams

Old 01-10-01, 06:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I have one of those beautiful but stupid/complicated roofs. I have extensive ventilation and insulation but in two areas I cannot stop ice jams. (Because of valleys and skylights improperly installed years ago)

My question is, what would happen if I insulated the outside of the house. Remove my shingles in this area, put 2" blue styro insulation, then another layer of sheathing to create a barrier from the heat inside the roof. Would this stop the snow from melting or am I going to create moisture problems.

Old 01-13-01, 05:46 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Just use heat tape where ever the ice is a problem this will keep it ice free make sure you use enough to do the job.
it plugs in to 110v and you do not have to worry about it. you can install it in the gutters as well..Good Luck

Old 01-13-01, 02:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you should do since your thinking of taking off the three or 4 rows is put down ice stop, or roof seal. It comes in rolls and is sticky on one side. Can be gotton at any roofing dealer. Easy to install. It is made to stop ice dams. It is now code in most of the country that all new construction or new roofing jobs that it be installed.
If you use heat tape, check with your home owners and fire insurance and see if they will cover in case of a fire. Some companies will not allow heat tapes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: