Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

replacing old sky light with velux curb mounted on a low sloped roof.

Old 11-29-11, 06:51 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am replacing an old skylight on a low slopped flat roof with Velux model M06. Manufactures suggestion is that it be curb mounted. The site gave instructions to build the curb which I found very useful. I also have the suggested flashing kit (ECB). Ok the roof is torched down rubber and my rough opening for the new curb will sit nicely on the existing roofing material.

The question is what roofing material/product should I use to cover my site built curb. At its highest point its raised about 20 inches off the roof deck and the low point its about 8 inches off the deck... The flashing kit will cover about 3 inches around the top perimeter of the curb.

Can someone inform me how to post pictures...

Old 11-29-11, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thats a really tall curb! Why so high? Snow?

Anyway, Electrical & Electronics | DoItYourself.com

Basically, you have to upload the pics to a hosting site like Photobucket..then post the link in the box that appears when you click the "image" button in the menu bar of the reply box here. It the button that looks like a picture, beside the one that looks like a piece of movie film.

Old 11-29-11, 07:34 AM
W
Thanks for the info on posting a pic.... And as far as the height of the curb, I just followed the instructions per Velux. The roof does accumulate snow so I guess its a good thing.

Old 11-29-11, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
I'd really like to see the instructions from Velux...all I could find suggested using 2x4 lumber. They did note that if it was higher than the 3 1/2" a 2x4 would give, that you would need some sort of additional flashing material. Sorry I lost the page, but they gave a spec/part number of some sort. Even then, I doubt it would help with a 20" height.

I'll see if I can call it up again....

Old 11-29-11, 08:14 AM
W
dd1.domwebx.com/inet/techdocs.nsf/A21+Tech+Docs/B288E6659FD780E0852576C7006335CB/$FILE/ECB%208%20inch%20Curb%20Construction%20Guidelines%20Flashing.pdf?openelement

this is the link to the instructions.

Last edited by wkndwarrior37; 11-29-11 at 08:18 AM. Reason: adding link.
Old 11-29-11, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh...ok...thanks for that. I didn't dig that far.

I would think the ideal solution would be to have a roofer install a torch down product around the entire curb and bonded to the existing roof. There may be a DIY product that could be substituted, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to suggest anything.

Looking at the rudimentary pictorial instructions they provide for the flashing kit...that appears exactly what they want you to do. Roofing material up to the top of the curb, then window/door adhesive flashing no lower than 2" down all around, then the ECB flashing kit.

Old 11-29-11, 09:15 AM
W
Ok, the rubber on rubber would be the best solution, is using roll roofing and roofing cement an option? Couldn't I just as well rent a propane torch and wrap the curb myself, or you wouldn't recommend? I am fairly handy and with the proper instructions I think I can get it done. In any event I will post some pictures later today to give some visuals. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: