Garage roof

Old 12-29-11, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage roof

Hi everyone,

This is the second winter in a row where I've noticed a slight drip in my garage roof. This past spring I went up and looked for anything obvious to patch. I didn't see anything but I did seal the vent at the peak of the roof that no one had bothered to do. I was hoping it was just a matter of water getting under the shingles from that point and the leak was just where it found its way in where 2 pieces of plywood meet. Now I am no expert at anything home related, so I may not have slathered enough onto it and I guess this could still be the problem. If nothing else, I will get back up there this spring with my bucket of tar and really seal that sucker.

Well it didn't leak for the remainder of the spring and summer but when it got cold it began to drip again occasionally. So something is expanding when its warm and preventing me from seeing a leak in the summer.

Now it always leaks at one of two places very close to each other and always where one piece of plywood meets another.

So I have a couple of questions for those of you who know more about things like this than I do (which is probably most of you).

1. What should I be looking for the next time I can get up on the roof?
2. What can I use to seal it up in the winter? Or am I stuck waiting until spring again?

Little more info if it helps:

- The shingles are 18 years old but look spectacular.
- There are slight dips in the roof where the trussing has bowed upwards
- The garage is completely uninsulated
- I'm in the Mid Atlantic US (hence my username)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-11, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Welcome to th forums.

Drips now only when there's snow on the roof? I suspect you may have ice backing the water up, which would be why you wouldn't experience this in the rain.

Old 12-29-11, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Its not actually when it snows. In fact the first time I saw it this year it was right after a cold rain (maybe 40 degrees outside).

Old 12-29-11, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
OK, so still above freezing but it only leaks when it's cold outside?

Old 12-29-11, 10:24 AM
That I've noticed, yes. We had some very heavy rain fall this past summer and not a drop came through. That's not to say that it wasn't sitting under the shingles and the heat just expanded the wood enough that it couldn't get through, but there was nothing visible inside until it got cold out.

Old 12-29-11, 10:34 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
What was the vent you sealed?
And, do you park your car inside the garage, like when it is wet or snow covered?

Bud

Old 12-29-11, 12:54 PM
Well its just a cover at the peak of the roof. It goes the entire length of the garage.

And yes I do park my truck inside when its wet, but I have actually seen the drip from the roof. I crawled up on a ladder to see for myself. I had actually thought it was just a drip from condensation. Since it isn't insulated at all, it does get pretty dewy in there at times.

Old 12-29-11, 03:08 PM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
It sounds like that was a ridge vent and perhaps should have been left open. When you pull a vehicle in there with water or snow on it, that moisture is going to need to be vented out or it will form condensation exactly as you are describing it.

Bud

Old 12-29-11, 05:52 PM
Well that's good to know, at least now I know what that thing is for.

I didn't completely seal it, just where it is nailed to the roof. Air can still escape. It is no more closed off than it was last year. I guess I could have explained that better had I known its purpose.

However, for the most part, the plywood meets at the roof peak and wouldn't really let the moisture out (there isn't much of a gap for about 2/3 of the roof) and it does get awful dewy in there. I have metal weights in the garage and on occasion, they can get quite wet in the evening of a moist, cool day.

Edit: Well lucky? me. It decided to drip while I was out there this evening. My only concern with the condensation theory is why does it always drip in the same general area?

Last edited by AdamInPA; 12-29-11 at 07:57 PM. Reason: More info