Is it OK to put a layer of EDPM over another layer ??

Old 01-05-12, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it OK to put a layer of EDPM over another layer ??

I have 2 areas in my home with flat roofs. Both have had professionally installed EDPM ( 90 mil) .

One area we want to use to do containers planting but I want to protect the roof as things will get moved. I would like to know If I buy another piece of EDPM and just lay it down like a pad to cover the roof area if this would be ok ? Putting a sheet of rubber over the existing installed rubber ? If not since this roof is used daily , I walk on this roof and as I say want to put a bunch of gardening pots and small table. Please do not say to put directly onto roof as I think it will get worn and torn.

The other small flat roof is actually my front porch which is on the second floor. This area is a jut out and there is living space under it on the first floor hence the reason to have needed a real roof.
Since this area will be walked on daily to enter house I thought of putting the bluestone back on top as it was prior to having new roof done.
If I do put the bluestone set in mortar over EPDM anything we should know? I think the original Bluestone might have been put over a torched down roof , not EPDM . We couldn't tell when it was all ripped up . Do you have any other suggestion for entrance exposed to outdoors. The area is only 9 feet x 4 feet . thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-12, 12:56 PM
as for the roof garden area: Loose laid EPDM on top of the existing EPDM roof is okay as long as there is enough weight on it to avoid wind uplift issues.
As for the front porch area: I would omit the mortar and just loose lay the bluestone with small gaps to allow drainage (similar to permeable pavers). I don't know your existing construction but I would suspect the mortar would simply crack and deteriorate anyway due to movement, freeze/thaw, etc.

Old 01-18-12, 07:35 AM
Tho they are are pretty expensive you might want to look into the EPDM walkway pad rather than a big piece of EPDM that will be hard to ballast down

but a 90 mill roof should be pretty durable as long as you try to be careful with the pots, but you could put a piece of rubber or something esle about the size of the pot under the pots if that makes you feel better

Old 02-09-12, 11:22 AM
I will check into them .. both roofs have been delayed due to construction that had to be redone .. thanks for advise

Old 02-09-12, 11:29 AM
The bluestone were set in mortar prior for 26 years with no problem, but I don't think it was EPDM under in those days .. it never cracked ( maybe because it was reinforced with wire ?) .. I would be afraid the bluestones would move if I didn't do something to keep them in position .. there will be 2 porch columns on top the bluestones ( one each corner in front) to help hold the porch roof above .. If I don't use mortar I am not sure what else to use to keep bluestone in place especially where columns will be drilled into bluestone ? any ideas .. these project got very delayed due to other issues ( not roof) .. thanks