What to do First?

Old 01-05-12, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What to do First?

Hello All! Happy New Year!

Ok, here is the situation. We recently purchased a home that is in major need of repair. It's cold and sometimes difficult to keep the pipes from freezing, but we enjoy the adventure...despite the sometimes trying times. LOL.

So, the home was originally a simple home with a simple gable roof. Well, one of the previous owners decided to add a new office upstairs so they build sort of a second floor. But, they did it very imporperly. There are holes and leaks in several areas.

Now, I don't know how long it has been going on, but I suspect that it has been happening for at least the last few years.

Now, before we moved forward, we had a home inspector come in and he basically told us that the house obviously needs a considerable amount of work, but the foundation, while could be better, was sound.

a few weeks back, we took off a few ceiling panels to find the source. We attributed it to an improperly or damaged roof. There is major ice damming because the "addition" above didn't leave enough space to properly insulate it. As a result, I suspect the walls are also in need ot replacing.

So, after all that rambling, here is the question i have foremost in my mind:

What should i do first; Fix the roof problems or fix the wall problems? As it stands, we intend to extend the second floor and build a real and properly done second floor. I do know that before we can do that, we need to build a better foundation, but that is another topic.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Again, I apologize for the rambling. LOL.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-12, 04:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What do you mean by, 'the foundation is sound but could be better'? If you are going to extend the second floor, why would you do anything to the roof, other than patch it with some roofing tar, if there are leaks?

Old 01-08-12, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Try posting a few pictures of the questionable areas so we can get a grasp on what you are seeing. No closeups. We know what wood looks like. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-09-12, 11:25 AM
Hey, Thanks for the replies guys! (Or girls, if that happens to be the case)

OK, Pulpo, what i meant by "the foundation is good, but could be better" is that the inspector told me that it wasn't the best way to have done the foundation, but it will do. I'm simply assuming that if it is adequate for the single story that we have already, adding a second story would push beyond its limits.

In regards to the roof, that is what I was thinking, but I don't understand houses so much and i don't know if just patching would end up allowing more to get ruined. We plan on building up in the next year or two. At the moment, I am pretty sure that the leaks are being caused by the enormous ice dams. LOL. Crazy adventure.

Chandler, I will surely post pictures within the next week or so. I'll get some of the exterior and interior.

Again, thank you so much for your replies and interest. Hope your new year is a great one!

Old 01-10-12, 06:52 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you are going to wait a year or two, then fix the roof now.

Old 01-11-12, 12:53 PM
Hey Pulpo,

Well, I was definitely going to repair the roof at least as far enough to stop the leaks, etc...

I am assuming that the wall needs to be repaired as well (I will post pictures soon. Hopefully by friday), so I guess my question is, if the wall needs to be repaired as well, should I fix the roof and then fix the wall, or fix the wall then the roof?

Old 01-11-12, 05:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The roof would come first, since the roof could be causing the wall damage.