Fascia board install - unlevel rafter tails

Old 01-17-12, 08:13 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fascia board install - unlevel rafter tails

Hi,

I'm a first timer in the process of replacing fascia board. House has a hip roof with 2x4 rafters square cut to 2x4 fascia board. First 18" of plywood is taken off all the way around. I took the old fascia board off and ran into an issue - rafter ends are not level horizontally (up to 1/2"). I think it's mostly due to shims (between top of the wall and rafter) not being of a consistent thickness as well as several rafters having some axial twisting. Here is a sketch:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hl=en_US&pli=1

My question is how to choose the best level to start from? My first thought was to put up a first 2x4, try to average out how much rafter ends are not flush with the top of the 2x4 with the same amount of other (lower rafters) below the bottom and find a median. With this in mind I installed first board at the corner, but after turning the corner and nailing 2nd board level with the first one, I ended with all rafter ends (that 2nd board is sitting against) higher that the board, i.e. my original "centerline" was chosen pretty low. I was wondering if there is a better way of doing this? Should I run a string line around the whole house to get a better level idea of all rafter tails? Should I base my level of the lowest rafter end and let plywood follow the rafters as they are instead of installing fascia board higher than some low rafter ends and forcing plywood end to sit of the fascia board with a gap to those rafters? That way I will have some gaps between plywood an 2x4 fascia, which will be covered by drip edge anyways.
Pardon my long write up.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-12, 05:06 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
How to Add Photos

How To Put Pictures In Your Post

Pictures can be worth a thousand words but just how do you add those pictures? First you will need to upload your picture to a photo sharing site such as:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

ImageShack® - Image Hosting

However some sites are blocked. Tinypic is one you can't use. Flikr does not allow direct linking to an image so the Insert Image function of this forum can't be used. You can put in an HTML link that readers can click on. The BB code they provide may work in this forum. I haven't tested it.

Once you have uploaded your picture to a photo sharing site you can just include the URL in your post.The forum software will make it an active link automatically.

You can also embed the image:

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz1joZcx3N7

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: