roof leak

Old 01-24-12, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof leak

11 year hold A-Frame roof with ridge vent has multiple leaks. Leaks run length of house after recent snows and rains. Contractor has inspected roof and ridge vent from end only and said ridge vent and shingles look good. He did not walk the roof. Roof has steep pitch. Contractor said possible snow blew up under ridge vent, but snows have been light this year compared to past years. Cannot see origin of leak from inside house. Can ridge vents fail along their entire length all at once? Does the ridge vent need to be replaced? Are there any other possible causes? Any help is much appreciated before I call another contractor.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-12, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! An improperly installed or "short" ridge vent can leak. Of course we are not seeing what you and the contractor saw. The contractor obviously didn't see it all if he was 20 feet away on the ground. Is there any way you can take some pictures, safely, and post them so we can take a look, too? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-25-12, 08:12 AM
Some ridge vents will allow wind blown snow to enter the attic space. The roll out vents that look like spaghetti will do this as well as the ones that look like corrugated cardboard. It is possible but I am not sure that is really your problem. Ridge vents of rigid plastic with built in baffles and wind screens (Air Vent, Inc. or similar) have always appeared to work better. If the leaks run the length of the house the ridge would be the first place I look but that doesn't mean that is the issue. Good Luck

Old 01-25-12, 03:48 PM
rook leaking

I think we have found the problem. Installed a humidifier at the end of last winter and it was leaking. I noticed it was set for high humidity. I turned off the humidifer to see if this is the problem. The roof contrator actually climbed up a ladder at the end of the roof and could see the ridge vent and did not see any problems. I will wait and see if the humidifier is the culprit. Thanks for all the comments.