helps with leaks on stone victorian

Old 03-02-12, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
helps with leaks on stone victorian

So I have a couple leaks and I haven't really done much roofing in the in the past. I was hoping to get some advice from someone more experienced.

This roof I'm pretty sure is leaking where the flashing meets the house. This is a porch roof, the porch is not used at all. It's leaking into the house though. I don't have much experience with muck, but should I just clean up the flashing and throw some muck on it?

Now onto the next problem, this roof is the bigger problem. It's a little 2nd floor balcony that's causing huge leaks on the 1st floor. The balcony is simply the top of a 1st floor bay window.

I took two photos, one of the right side, one of the left. Here is the right side of the porch, there are no leaks coming from this side at all.

Here is the other side, I took the shot behind the railing. This is the side that is leaking badly in several spots. As you can see it is all mucked up from the previous owner. This is a metal roof, I do not see any holes in the metal. I'd like to re-muck it, but is there any way to remove the old muck? What about painting the metal top with some sort of sealant? I don't think the metal is leaking, but it is not one single piece, it looks like its a few pieces welded together, I suppose it could be leaking at the seam, or through a couple pin holes I didn't see.

I'm not sure what do to here. I was hoping some of you more experienced in roofing could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-12, 03:56 PM
As for the first photo what you do is dependent on how much work you are doing to the rest of this roof area. if it is going to be replaced soon I would add step flashing that turns up the stone wall and then install a counter flashing over the top of the step flashing by saw-cutting a joint into the stone wall about 10 to 12" above the roof line (a diagonal cut that follows the roof line below). you shingle the roof with the step flashing just like any other roof of this type. You can then set the counterflashing into the saw-cut joint, secure it with lead rope (looks like lead spaghetti only thinner) and then a continuous bead of flexible sealant to fill the saw-cut joint. This is alot of work and if you are only looking for a cheap and quick solution then: muck away, but I have my doubts about it working. Other potential problem to consider for this location: are you sure the water is not getting in because the stone wall needs tuckpointing somewhere above the roof line?

Old 03-05-12, 07:51 AM
thanks for the response, no I did not check the stone for leaks, I'll do that. The roof is in pretty good shape, was going for the cheap solution.

Any ideas on the side porch? Is there a way to remove old muck so I can get a fresh canvas?