How should I replace this sunroom roof?

Old 03-13-12, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How should I replace this sunroom roof?

I am getting a new roof on this home this month and would like to cover my patio roof with the same ashfault shingles. My patio has corrugated fiberglass roofing on top right now and it looks lousy to say the least! My roofing contractor will cover it with the necessary roof materials to match my main roof as long as I sheath it. I just need to know what materials or processes I should follow to sheath it. My studs are 2' on center. Should I use t&g, osb, or 1/2" exterior grade sheathing? Do I need to do anything after I tear off the fiberglass roof and before I lay down the recommended sheathing? Shouldnt I have some overhang on all three sides? If so , how much? what about the fact that these studs are 2' on center? How would I overhaneg even a few inches?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-12, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
3 thoughts:
1) I'm sure that the members with much more roofing experience than I have will eventually reply.

2) You might want to run your questions past your roofer. It would really stink to sheathe the sunroom roof, and have the roofer show up and say "sorry, I can't shingle this because...."

3) The sheathing and shingles will add quite a bit of weight to the roof. Have you checked the structure-foundation/footings, studs, attachment to the house, etc., to be sure that it can accommodate the extra weight?

Good luck with your project!

Old 03-13-12, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the 1st reply Mikedel. I have already discussed this with my roofer, he said use plywood sheathing, I just wanted to get more opinions and figure out some details. I am concerned about the weight now for sure. I can post a photo of the joists and how they are attached if it would be helpful. Hopefully someone with structural architecture knowledge will "chime in".

Old 03-13-12, 12:14 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Roof

What is the span distance of the rafters?

What size rafters? They appear to be 2x6'?

You add to the overhang on the outer side by making the rafters longer.

Overhang on the ends is done by adding a rafter at each end with one end supported by the house and the outer end supported by a continuous fascia protruding out at the corners.

Old 03-13-12, 12:20 PM
its 20 ft wide x 13 ft deep, those are 2x6 rafters.

Old 03-14-12, 11:52 PM
Be prepared for your patio (and adjacent interior rooms) to be darker and much more gloomy. I'd consider adding a few skylights to keep a brighter look. And you also might want to beef up the joists as well--2 x 6s at 24" centers, spanning 13' are just about at their limit, depending on the type and grade of lumber used. If you're in snow country, definitely think about sistering in some "helpers."