Roof Replacement on a serious budget... Help.

Old 03-13-12, 01:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Replacement on a serious budget... Help.

Greetings!

So, here's the situation: My wife, daughter and I live with my disabled parents; we already have a medium-sized (50~k) mortgage out on the house, so borrowing money in that conventional way isn't an option. The roof is in shambles. It has three layers of shingles, and 2-3 spots of damaged plywood (result of water damage due to whomever owning the house before us not knowing how to flash a valley)

Precluding a miracle, which I'm always open to, I need to figure out a way to get us through another season in Northwest Ohio with a pathetic budget, and an ultimate need of just replacing the damaged plywood and replacing all the current layers of shingles with a new set. I'm not an experienced DiYer, but I'm intelligent, and I have multiple weeks of paid vacation that I can take, so time shouldn't be an issue.

I have maybe 2,000.00 at most that I can float towards this. The house is a typical >1600 sq ft, (medium pitch?) L-shaped ranch.

Let the magical ideas roll!

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-13-12, 04:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a roofer but for the most part the work is fairly straight forward. You'd rip off all the old shingles [rent a dumpster for the debris] repair the roof deck as needed, lay down the felt and then the shingles. A large portion of a roof job is the labor so doing it yourself will save you quite a bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: