old water stains found under carpet. any concern?

Old 03-15-12, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old water stains found under carpet. any concern?

We pulled up the carpets in a couple rooms on the first floor of our house (floors are ~3ft above grade), and found water stains on the 3/4" plywood subfloor along the outside edge of the room. These show up in both rooms, covering ~ 40-50% of the floor along the wall.

We moved in about a year ago, and have had some very heavy rain storms, we have not noticed any moisture in the carpets and when we pulled them up there were no visible signs of damage to them.

Any idea what these water stains could be from? It also appeared to be on the carpet tack strips along the wall that we pulled out, so I don't think it was from the building process (ie walls left open during construction with no windows, water got in etc).

We're putting in hardwood flooring, and want to look into this before that investment is made.

Thanks again

Pictures of the water stains:

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-12, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
would probably also help if you had pictures of the outside, since water most generally comes from the roof or siding. Can't tell what kind of siding you have from your question. if you never noticed wet carpet the stains could be ancient.

Old 03-16-12, 08:06 AM
the attic is dry and we don't see water coming down the siding much when it rains (roof/gutters overhang and take care of that obviously).

here is a picture just outside those stains

thanks again for the insight.

Old 03-16-12, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Huh. No ideas here. I would assume the stains are ancient. The way the stain is almost centered between the windows is suspicious. Normally I would imagine that at some time in the past there might have been a missing/rotton drip cap that was letting water in on top of the window, where it could then run down on top of the window frame, inside the rough opening, eventually finding its way down to the sill plate and subfloor. A big rotton hole at the corners of the window sill would act in much the same way. But the windows and siding look to be in pretty good shape.

So my guess would be that this problem may have been taken care of long ago. You could examine the foundation (left of center in the picture). it almost looks like something has been patched there, right under the bottom of the siding. But maybe I'm imagining things.

Old 03-16-12, 09:42 AM
The concrete doesn't appear to be patched upon closer inspection. If it was they did a 'really' good job and I can't detect anything.

There are about 4 or 5 of these stains in the two rooms on that side of the house, all of them seem to be centered on the edges of the windows.

There is a crack in the basement wall that pretty much goes top to bottom, about 3/16" of an inch at the widest point. I see a slight crack in the front, but I don't know if it's the same one from the inside (might be off by a couple feet). Either way there is no water marks near this crack and it's below the flooring. I assume it's just normal from settling, house is ~21 years old.

Hoping it's old news

Old 03-16-12, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Possibly there was an issue in the past as X said. They may have replaced the carpet but reused the tack strips.

Old 03-16-12, 09:49 AM
joists below in the basement and any other framing don't appear to be stained or damaged at all. plywood subfloor isn't soft or warping, and it's been raining a few times this week with no additional signs of water. going to call this one closed, and thank you again for your advice.