Vented drip edge vs soffit vents

Old 03-16-12, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vented drip edge vs soffit vents

I currently have a vented drip edge for our roof system. One roofer said he recommends against them as it can cause ice dams to block them, and even let water in the house (if the ice gets up there or water gets backed up etc), and recommended installing soffit vents. he had to replace another roof because they had problems with vented drip edges.

we already have the foam baffles for the vented drip edge, and i imagine soffit venting would work just as well, if not better. We have ~ 1' overhang on the roof, and it's an open attic above.

We're in the northeast, so no stranger to rain/wind/snow. any recommendations on vented drip-edge vs soffit? price would be the same.

Thanks!

Last edited by skibum01; 03-16-12 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-12, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
I agree with your roofer.

Old 03-16-12, 11:54 AM
thanks for the response. It's basically Lowes subcontracting it out, or this roofer I had recommended to me. Both will do roof + gutters for around the same price for their final quotes.

I'll most likely go with the guy who caught this instead of saving $300 on an $11k job and going with a big box store.

Old 03-16-12, 11:55 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I have only recommended the vented drip edges when the house does not have a soffit. With 2', I'm not sure why they were used. As to whether they will get blocked with ice should already be known unless this is brand new.

Ice is not always a product of attic heat and snow melt, it can come directly out of the sky as the ice storm of 98 taught many of us. Even those popular ridge vents were sealed completely over and I saw crews out with sledge hammers beating the dickens out of everything below just to get the 3 or 4 inches of ice off.

If it hasn't been a problem, then it may be able to wait and be combined with a new roof, but I would consider going to standard soffit vents.

As an added thought, if you are considering any long term major efficiency improvements, like adding a couple of inches or more of rigid foam under some new siding, then the soffits will be involved with the thicker walls. Nice to catch as much as you can when things are torn apart.

Bud

Old 03-16-12, 11:58 AM
Bud,

To your last comment, siding will be coming off our house in the next 2-3 years (currently wood/cedar plans, might go with hardiplank). If we add additional insulation to the outside walls, they will pop out a bit, and cover some of the soffit vent is what you're saying?

Old 03-16-12, 12:15 PM
just checked the roof when i was home, it's a big more overhang over the garage, however over the house it's about a 1' overhang + another 5" of gutter

Not sure if this changes anything.

Old 03-16-12, 01:44 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I am in the process of adding 3.5" of rigid over a standard 2x4 stud wall. I removed my soffits entirely and gained the benefit of extending the insulation to the top of the wall plate. With the soffit in place I would have left several inches with little insulation. Infrared images always show the cold in the roof/wall corner due to soo much wood and no insulation, called thermal bridging.

A typical installation of new siding should use a 2" minimum rigid foam board to keep the ratio of inside and outside insulation proper. Adding 2 inches shouldn't cover much of the soffit, just that if it were being done all at the same time, you might do as I stated, continue the rigid up to the top of the top plate.

If you already have 6" walls, then something as radical as my project may not be necessary, but 2" would be great.

Bud