Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Should the contractor have used drops on the gutter install?

Old 03-23-12, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I discovered the contractor who installed my seamless gutter did not use drops to attach the downspouts to - they just cut an "X" in the floor of the gutter, bent the flaps down and screwed the gutter onto the flaps.

My main concern is the area of the opening in the floor of the gutter is 50% of the area of the profile of the downspout. In other words, there is only 50% of the capacity that the downspout could have if drops had been used.

Plus, the contractor even said (before he started the job) that my installation should have 4 downspouts and suggested that a fourth one be added. I told him that while I understood his reasoning, I wanted to stay with 3 because due to the way the house is situated, a fourth would be difficult to do and in the 50 years I've lived here, overflow during a heavy downpour has rarely occurred.

Is it standard to not use drops or was this a poor way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-12, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The guy we use does it the way you describe with the "x". However, they seal the fire out of it, so there is no leakage at all. As far as the number of drops you have, that would be a call you should make since we can't see what you see. However, I always rely on my guy's judgment, and he hasn't been incorrect yet.

Old 03-24-12, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 206 Posts
I personally like to use drops, (I like that the metal is more stiff and doesn't push away when you try to screw to it) but there are also drawbacks to using drops- they create a small raised lip around the perimeter of the drain which blocks "some" water, creating a little bit of pooling around the drop. With the flaps, there is no raised lip. As Larry said, it's quite common for guys to just cut an X. I just took some gutters off a house this week... they had the X.

If he screwed the downspout to the flaps, the flaps are probably just as wide as the drop would be, so I highly doubt that the opening is "50% smaller than a standard drop".

Or are you saying the hole he cut is 1 1/2" x 2" instead of 2" x 3"? (or 2" x 3" instead of 3" x 4" depending on which size downspout he used)? If gutter overflow is a problem, the 3x4 downspouts can carry twice the volume of water of the smaller 2x3 downspouts.

Old 03-24-12, 01:47 PM
If he screwed the downspout to the flaps, the flaps are probably just as wide as the drop would be, so I highly doubt that the opening is "50% smaller than a standard drop".
I'm not at that house right now and I don't remember the dimensions, but I did measure and calculate and it is very close to 50%. The openings are MUCH smaller than the downspouts.

He did screw the downspout to the flaps but the points of the flaps (where the screw attaches) bend outward to meet the wall of the downspout - and the walls of the downspouts are drawn inward somewhat.

Think about it: if you cut an "X" and bend the flaps down by hand, you're going to end up with a smaller opening unless you use a hand seamer to get nice square creases.

Even if you used a seamer, the X method would not allow for the maximum area because downspouts have rounded corners.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if that practice was considered common, which both of you answered (thank you).

It just seems that it could have been done better to allow for more flow.

Old 03-24-12, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, if the X was cut too small and the downspout edges were drawn in to meet the X, then it wasn't done properly. The X is generally the same size as the downspout and they use some type of sealant that sticks to anything. I know you don't want to get it on your clothes or anything you like, as it is difficult to get off.

Old 03-29-12, 06:55 PM
jlace84

I also have scene guys use the "x". I would like to see drops used, but as long as the "x" is properly cut, secured and sealed, there should not be any problems.