How to repair electrical mast flashing in place?

Old 03-26-12, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repair electrical mast flashing in place?

Looking for ideas to repair this flashing without having to undo the service wires coming into the house (see picture).

The flashing has split near the base, allowing rain water to come into the attic. I would like to find a robust solution (not just some kind of a patch) to seal the flashing, maybe some kind of a secondary flashing to go over the present one - but I can't think of any solutions that would work without undoing the service lines.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-12, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Sadly, I can't. Call the power company and see how much, if anything, it would cost to come out and disconnect the lines. If you got the old flashing off ahead of time it would only take you 10 mins to get another flashing over the pipe so they could reconnect.

Old 03-26-12, 09:37 PM
Someone on another forum suggested something like this:

Best Materials LLC - Discount Roofing Materials, Roofing Supplies, Roofing Products, Eternabond, Fasteners, Vents, Waterproof Coatings, Safety Products

This is roughly what I am looking for, but I am not ready to spend $120 for a piece of sheetmetal.

I put in the service mast about 8 years ago and did connection of the wiring myself, so I am not against the idea of pulling the service wires off and slipping a new flashing in place - but would prefer to avoid it if possible...

I figure there must be something else that is a retrofit but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Old 03-26-12, 09:50 PM
Maybe something like this would work at a reasonable cost:

#1 Multi-Flash Multi-Port Retrofit Black EPDM Square-Base Flashing

Old 03-27-12, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Those are basically for metal roofing installation, but I don't see why it wouldn't work since you need access around the pipe rather than over it. I would leave the flashing you have in place since it has a longer "up" tail than the one mentioned. It would also give you something to silicone it to.

Old 03-27-12, 08:44 AM
Thanks Larry! I'll plan to climb on the roof tonight to scope out the situation more closely. I'll caulk the crack to stop the leak for now, and will assess what the best longterm solution will be. I'll post some more pics after I do that.

Old 03-27-12, 05:47 PM
Here is what I got, it looks like the roofers used a two piece flashing to begin with, sealed with caulk of some sort, which has now split, ugh:

Here is a closeup, explaining the wet ceiling I saw in the bedroom below:

Here is how I dealt with it for now, with some Kerdi-Fix silicone sealant that I had on hand:

That should hold for a while, while I ponder a more permanent solution. I'll call the power company first and see if they can yank the wires for me for a few minutes while I slip a new flashing in place - if they will, that's probably the best solution. I may also consider doing it myself, like I did when I put in the new service ...

But that solution, or the retrofit ones posted above, would require messing with the shingles. Is there something I can use that would avoid having to lift the shingles? I don't mind doing it, but if I can avoid it, that would be better . Old shingles tend to start crumbling if you mess with them.

Leon