Tin roof

Old 04-04-12, 11:31 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Tin roof

I am having a 25' x 12' addition put onto my house and because of the low pitch of the roof I decided to use ridged tin. I know I will have to prime and paint the tin when finished so I am asking for suggestions as to what material I should use to do the job. Thank you.

Old 04-05-12, 06:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of tin roof needs painting when new?
The 2 basic metal roofs available today either come with a factory finish or are galvanized. Generally it's best to let a galvanized roof weather for a year or so before painting.

Old 04-05-12, 12:40 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
The product is called Terne II and it's architectural roofing material. It comes as flat stock and it must be formed with a brake. The roofer told me it should be painted after 30 days curing and I'm looking for the best idea to do it.

Old 04-05-12, 01:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Does the manufacture having any painting tips?

There may be an oily film on the metal, if so it should be washed off. Generally metal roofs are primed/painted with oil base. If the metal is thin enough to have much expanding and contracting, oil base coatings might peel. If that's the case it might be better to use a DTM paint [direct to metal] The better paints stores would have it. It would be best to contact the roofing tin manufacture and get their advice!

Old 04-05-12, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Found these pages from the mfg.

Terne II® - ZT® Alloy Coated Steel | Follansbee Steel
Rapidri® Paint System for Terne II® - ZT® Alloy Coated Steel | Follansbee Steel

It sounds like they have a specific primer and paint in mind and a specific maintenance schedule (repaint every 8 yrs) if they are to stand behind their product warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: