Shed roof without posts

Old 04-04-12, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed roof without posts

I want to attach a 4' shed roof to the outside of my workshop. But, I don't want any posts. The ledger will bolt to the rim joist. I figure that a knee brace on each rafter would be sufficient since we don't get any snow loads here. Does anyone see any red flags about this idea? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-12, 06:44 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Shed Roof

The ledger is for the bottom of the knee brace?

How will you secure the inside end of the rafters? This is where the most stress will be.

Old 04-07-12, 06:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Oregon and you don't get snow? OK. Which way do your rafters run in relation to the direction of the planned roof extension? I am thinking of cantilevering, but need more information before I step into the pile. Can you post some pix of the shop so we can see what you are seeing? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-09-12, 08:18 AM
The ledger is where the rafters will attach using hangers. Bottom of the knee brace would attach atop a block screwed to the 2 x 6 studs.

Old 04-09-12, 08:27 AM
Hi chandler. Well, very little here in Portland Metro compared to where we spent 35 winters under feet of snow😜I will try to post a pic today. Cantilever can't work here so I was thinking of bolting a ledger to the existing top plate, then hanging rafters on it. 3/12 pitch using a knee brace to blocks screwed to the studs.