browned siding

Old 04-05-12, 12:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
browned siding

On one side of house, there has been damages like brown color rust mark made by water flowing down from the small pipe(hole) underneath of roof gutter.
so, my house's siding color is white-ivory color but those damaged area( around 6ftx2ft)'s brown and uply color and needs to be removed and prevented in order not to be happen again.
I am not a roof/gutter expert, but I guess the rust came from the drain pipe in gutter( horizontal top roof gutter), am I correct?
or, it comes from any other steel objects in the roof?
Only that area damaged.

1) How to remove the brown thing from side wall? power-wash? or re-paint?

2) How to stop it?
Do I have to climb up long ladder ( location is 12feet high) and block the pipe?

I believe this kind of problem could and was be happened any other houses, so I appreciate it if any one can share some idea with me, thanks,

Old 04-05-12, 02:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
It's probably not rust. Leaves, pine needles, etc that get in the gutter and decompose and then run down the siding making a mess. I'm not sure what cleaner will work the best but any way it goes - it will require scrubbing.

Is the downspout not big enough for the flow of water during a heavy rain? or does it leak?

Old 04-05-12, 03:17 PM
R
It could be rust or just mold. I would first clean out the gutter and make sure the downspout is clear. Then put 50% water and 50% bleach in a pump sprayer and spray those areas, let sit and rinse in 5-10 min.(if you dont have a pump sprayer you can use a soft bruch and bucket,and scrub lightly) If its mold or mildew it should be gone when you rinse with garden hose. If its rust you can get a product called rust aid from any of the big box stores and spray on and hose off after about 10 min.

Old 04-05-12, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Could also be the drain from the A/C-Furnace....which would absolutely cause a rusty stain (why the heck do they use steel in evap coils and housings anyway?). Depends on where it's coming from. This statement is important "the small pipe(hole) underneath of roof gutter.".

Phosphoric acid (sold as a metal prep most places) will take it right off w/o harming the siding (if it's vinyl).

Old 04-06-12, 07:12 AM
N
I think it's rusty stain, and it has nothing to do with A/C unit, and it came from small downspout(about 20inch long and 2~3inch diameter pipe, there a many this same pipe attached to edge of top roof, but all others has not caused any stain drop, but this one only), I don't think any tree leaf involved here, since my house doesn't have any nearby trees at all.

If I rent a power washer from Homedepot or Lowes, can I spray standing ground? or should I use really long ladder? ( I little scary to use long ladder, the location of this side is slope and the location of stain is high, 2nd floor height).

If stain came from the small pipe itself, all pipes should have produce same stains..so, I don't think it came due to pipe itself, then something wrong in roof edge gutter or some steel is in the gutter?
If I block this small pipe, could it stop it?
Thanks,

Old 04-06-12, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
Most gutters today are aluminum although occasionally you'll run across steel gutters. We might need more clarification about the pipe in question. Is it a downspout or hole in the gutter? or is it from something else? is your air handler [furnace] in the attic? a pic or two might help http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I'm not fond of PWing high areas from the ground. Straight on or downward is best. When you spray upward your apt to force water under the siding and that has the potential to cause problems. There should be a house wrap behind the siding but occasionally a house gets built without one and even if it has one - is it intact

You can use adapters ton change the direction and extension wands for the PWer but it can be a bear to control under pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: