roof shingles replacement and plywood question

Old 04-05-12, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof shingles replacement and plywood question

Hi, I have asked estimates from multiple companies to replace asphalt shingles on my roof, one company said that I should add 1/2 inch plywood sheets on my roof (now it is made of 3/8 inch plywood) while the other companies didn't propose it, does anybody know if it would be better to spend the extra money to add the extra plywood or is it only a superflous expense?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-12, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! There's only 3/8" up there, now??? That's way too thin. Not sure how anyone walked on it to be honest with you. Yes, adding an additional layer of 1/2" after they remove the existing shingles would be best.....5/8 even better.

Old 04-06-12, 03:00 PM
There is quite a bit of 3/8" roof sheathing out there, but hopefully your rafters/trusses are on no more than 16" centers. The 3/8" plywood met code (when it was installed and still might) and unless the plywood has been damaged (rot or DE-lamination), it should be adequate for a new roof if the existing roof is stripped 1st.

Old 04-08-12, 02:35 PM
thanks for the replies, I go on the roof every summer to trim some high tree branches that are near the house and it always felt pretty solid so that's why I didn't know what to answer when I was offered to put some new plywood sheets