Ideas on how to move shingle bundles from ground to roof?

Old 03-18-12, 08:38 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ideas on how to move shingle bundles from ground to roof?

Okay, so first off - go ahead and tell me that I should have had the delivery guys use their aerial contraption to drop it directly onto my roof instead of the ground where I told them to stack them. I had my reasons - which I don't want to get into arguing over - and here I am with some amazingly heavy bundles to carry up a ladder - not sure I can even do it (in a perfect world - they would have gone straight to the roof).

The delivery guy said I might try to rent a conveyor belt - but I'm sure the cost would be way out of my tight budget.

I thought about just breaking down the bundles and carrying a few at a time but, aside from the labor, I'm wondering if all that bending and extra handling would be bad for the shingles (current temps in 60s - 70s).

So, my current thought is to build a 25' railed slide/skid out of 2x4s and OSB; make a little cart with rollers on the bottom and pull bundles up by a rope. That would run me about $80 in materials which I can use for other projects latter.

Or maybe I could make a custom little backboard with straps and haul them up on my back?

Man I had no idea they would be this heavy - feels like about 50lbs a bundle (Malarkey, Alaskan). And, though I'm in fair shape - still, I'm 62yrs old.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
Will

Old 03-18-12, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Actually....they run about 70lbs for standard 20 yr 3 tab shingles.

How many bundles?

As to the cart and skid idea....who would load the cart at the bottom?

Personally, I'd try to find 3 HS football players looking for some cash. $30 apiece and it's done.

Old 03-18-12, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
90 lbs for architectural shingles. For the $80 I would rent a shingle ladder, or find a roofer that is finishing up on a job and pay his guys (and their ladder) to spot them on the roof for you. They will know where they go and can probably have it done in 1/2 hour.
And people still ask why I don't do roofs.......too old, too smart and bad knees.

Old 04-06-12, 02:38 PM
G
Open the bundles and carry what you're comfortable with. You'll be finished by the time you build some contraption that will take twice as long to pull the shingles up. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-12, 02:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Hire some bulked up kids or carry what you can yourself but I wouldn't build anything

Old 04-07-12, 05:40 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Ladder Hoist

Ladder hoist in my area rents for $60 per day and has total height of 44 ft. Two 16 ft. sections and one 8 ft. section. You will need loaders on the ground and un-loaders on the roof.

Old 04-07-12, 08:46 AM
A
Ladder Hoist

Thank you all very much!

I generally try to include all the particulars when I post a question, but I left out a couple so ---

- I'm shingling by myself - not a fast pace
- Two roofs (detached garage and house)
- Also moving a new furnace into the attic thru the roof (by myself)

I never heard of a ladder hoist, so I looked it up and realized that was what I needed. I don't have to coordinate with crews. I can bring shingles up when I want them and where I want them. And also raise the furnace up when I'm ready for that.

I bought an electric hoist from Harbor Freight for about $80 and built a ladder (couldn't come up with an affordable used 16' ladder) and skid out of 2x4s and plywood. I tested it yesterday - and it worked just fine.

It was kind of a hassle to put this together, but it gives me the kind of flexibility that my project needs - so I think it was worth it.

Thanks again everybody - this information has been very helpful!

Will

Old 04-08-12, 01:09 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Hey Will, Any chance to see pictures of your finished ladder hoist? Maybe I or others might want to build one!

Old 04-09-12, 08:53 AM
A
Ben, I will eventually take some photos, but this should give you a pretty good idea:

This guy demos one, but has a problem - but I think you can see, if you are paying attention to what you are doing, how useful it can be:
ladder hoist goof - YouTube

Here's a wooden rig, way more sophisticated than mine:
Wooden Shingle Hoist - YouTube

What I did:
the rails -
- two rails (each made from 2 eight-foot 2x4s end to end with another 2x4 bolted to the inside for support. Of course if you can get 2 rails of the length you need you won't have to "splice" them together.
- three all-thread sections - each running thru a 15(as I recall) inch piece of 1/2" pvc (which acts as a width regulating spacer and also keeps hoist cable from rubbing against all-thread).
- metal rod at top to attach pulley
- metal pipe at bottom to bold electric hoist to
- I doubled up with 2x4s pieces at top and bottom and bored holes for the metal rod & pipe (above)
- placed several 2x4 braces between the rails with those brackets used by framers (minimal use of nails and deck screws to cut down on splitting)
- took a grinder and rounded off any bolts on the outer sides of the rails

the skid -
- made a backboard of 1/2" plywood
- built a shelf 2/3rds way down that backboard
- ran two 2x4s underneath on each side of the skid with about 1" space to spare between skid guides and rails - (reduces chance of binding).
- bolted a scrap metal plate to top of plywood back-board and attached hoist hook to that (after it comes down from pulley at top of "ladder-hoist".

Sorry, I guess there is more to it than I thought, but maybe between above video and my description you can "picture it".
You can actually buy the skid - pre-made (made of aluminum with rollers; very nice - maybe $50?).
A "straight ladder" - maybe 16 foot aluminum - also preferable to 2x4 home-made.

I also came across this idea - no motor required (note simple 2x4 construction):
Gravity Powered Shingle Shuttle-One Man - YouTube

Last edited by AccidntlTourist; 04-09-12 at 10:39 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: