Vent Stack & shingles

Old 04-26-12, 09:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vent Stack & shingles

Help!! 2 of my vent stacks have small leaks in them...I've had 2 guys at my home with 2 different fixes...1 says to replace the stacks & the shingles around them because the flange is dried out; the other says to just caulk around the flange because he thinks the shingles around the flange will crack when he lifts the stack out. He also said that he would replace the whole roof & would just go right over the old roof.

Thoughts??

Old 04-26-12, 02:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Well, if they both are saying the flanges are cracked and need replacing and one is suggesting that your whole roof needs replacing I would get some more opinions but it sounds like it's about time for your roof to get a makeover. I am not a fan of adding a second layer of shingles. It can shorten the life of the new shingles and it adds a fair bit of weight to the roof. Just adding a second layer also does not offer the opportunity to do repairs to the structure of the roof which is a concern since it seems you have a couple leaks.

Old 04-27-12, 09:26 AM
M
Thanks for the advice. I've had 2 guys tell me that the overall roof is in good shape & has about 5-7 years left so I won't be doing the whole roof. All I need is about 10 or so shingles replaced as well as the flanges around the 2 vent stacks. Waiting for 1 more estimate...1 guy told me $775 to do what I just wrote...thought that was kind of high.

Old 04-27-12, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Are they quoting just changing out the boots on the vent stacks? With a few shingles it is a 10 minute job, so go from there. Don't let anyone "caulk" around the rubber part of the boot. It will decay in no time.

Old 04-27-12, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If these are plastic or metal boots with the rubber inserts that fit around the pipe....the rubber inserts can be replaced. You really don't need to take the old ones off...just slide the new ones over the pipes with a healthy dose of the recommended caulk underneath and they will last as long as the originals did. No shingle replacement needed.

I agree...don't just caulk the old seal.

Old 04-30-12, 08:25 AM
M
@ Chandler - Yes, just replacing the 2 boots on the vents stacks. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: