Yard Drainage Problem - pics

Old 05-02-12, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yard Drainage Problem - pics

I have two down spouts that release water on the ground. At one time these spouts went into an underdrain that is now out of commision (likely broken pipe causing backup etc..).

My neighbor is less than 10' to my left so I have no room to point the down spouts toward my neightbors property without the runoff spilling onto there driveway.

Questions:
1. Should I just regrade around foundation and allow better runoff (toward my neightbor's driveway. Not knowing the ultimate result?

2. Should I do both, regrade and install 4" underdrain toward street or slope daylight?

My goal is to be cheap but effective.
The front drain has a low spot with green slinky pipe that I thought to just swap with metal pipe for positive drainage.

The pics include the two bad drain locations and two working drains that I do not plan to change.

Thanks for your input.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-12, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
I see in your house design, that it affords you the opportunity to raise your downspouts. Then run along the house, deck, mortar line...etc to reach a new desired location.

Those flexible spouts are messy looking IMO. You can tuck it right along the rock face and pitch it where you want

Mike NJ

Old 05-03-12, 07:16 AM
Thanks Mike.

In the case where you see the down spout and the green bush on the right, would you raise it to run along the top of the stone foundation where it meets the vinyl siding for asthetic reasons?

In the case where you see the gate and the drain amongst the plants, I now believe I can raise and run to the otherside where the pic was taken from.

Where you see the deck to the right of the downspout I don't have much issue with. However I plan to add a concrete washout below the elbow. I'm not sure I see the advantage to carry it along the deck at this time.

The cost for just a little more drain pipe is my kind of improvement.
Any additional opinions on this would certainly be welcomed.
Thanks.

Old 05-03-12, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Am I seeing correctly in the bottom right picture that the water is pushed out along the edge of the house?

Old 05-03-12, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
I
n the case where you see the down spout and the green bush on the right, would you raise it to run along the top of the stone foundation where it meets the vinyl siding for asthetic reasons?

Yes. It will look better IMO then that green thing laying on the ground. Possibly go towards the other side of the house if thats an area you need to dump to.

In the case where you see the gate and the drain amongst the plants, I now believe I can raise and run to the otherside where the pic was taken from.

OK

Where you see the deck to the right of the downspout I don't have much issue with. However I plan to add a concrete washout below the elbow. I'm not sure I see the advantage to carry it along the deck at this time.

OK. Still I would raise those up a ft or so. Remove the downspout and cut a ft or so off. Take off a little at a time. Its easier to cut more then add more.

To mount down spout along the home get the gutter clamps and use masonry molly's. The one you drill and add that plastic insert.

Also I cut mine and bought the PVC piece's of spout in 10 ft sections from the home store. Like $10 bucks I think. Easy to cut.

Mike NJ

Old 05-03-12, 08:59 AM
Am I seeing correctly in the bottom right picture that the water is pushed out along the edge of the house?
Yes. That's one of my problems.
At the moment the thought is to get rid of the flex pipe, raise and extend behind the green bush. As of now its draining at foundation!

OK. Still I would raise those up a ft or so. Remove the downspout and cut a ft or so off. Take off a little at a time. Its easier to cut more then add more.

To mount down spout along the home get the gutter clamps and use masonry molly's. The one you drill and add that plastic insert.

Also I cut mine and bought the PVC piece's of spout in 10 ft sections from the home store. Like $10 bucks I think. Easy to cut.

Mike NJ
Thanks Mike.
All said and done I believe I'll need to add fill along most of the foundation to keep all runoff ...running off, not standing. Some are areas are generally too flat.