Gutter and Grading questions

Old 05-22-12, 06:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutter and Grading questions

I have a 60 year old house with terrible basement leakage issues. Some of the issues are linked to the gutters, but with an overhang of about 3 feet, it is hard to believe that gutters are all my problem (though they are in terrible shape), esp on the side where water naturally flows away from the house. My basement leaks profusely after a heavy rain. I'm on a very tight budget and want to get the most bang for my buck; what would you suggest I start?

Old 05-22-12, 07:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 88 Posts
You put grading in your subject but never discussed it - does the grade slope away from the house for a few feet (or more) in each direction?

Old 05-22-12, 07:33 AM
C
Well, my house sits on a street that gradually slopes down, and it seems every house dumps water on the one down from it. I would say I have no grading, except for this natural slope on one side, and 3 foot eaves. I thought the overhang would protect the water at least on one side from getting in, but I've got a lot of water from multiple directions coming in. How do I fix that grade myself? I am also concerned about underground gutters failing, and perhaps being part of the problem.

Old 05-22-12, 07:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Your gutters move the water away underground? If so, then failure would be a concern and one which is not easily investigated.

You normally want to see the grade fall away from the house in all directions for at least a few feet away from the house. You can have the best gutters and be on top of a hill but if the ground immediately around the house slopes toward the building, you're funneling water toward the foundation instead of away from it.

Old 05-22-12, 08:47 AM
C
How do I fix that, soil/dirt? I have a patio out back that slopes outward, so it actually slopes away from the house. The problem is that the house has an L-corner and the patio meets it; I'm afraid the water may also be funneling to that corner, and entering the house. I guess a jack hammer is the only way to get the patio out, then I could grade completely.

Old 05-22-12, 08:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
The patio should be fine, I'm not sure what you're saying about the corner.

Can you provide some pictures?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-22-12, 10:59 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Where is the water coming into the basement? Is it one specific wall, corner, from everywhere?

I'm picturing an "L" shaped house, on a road with a downward grade to one side. If I was looking at your house, the water from the neighbor's house is hitting yours from the right or left side? Is the water coming into the house from that side only?

The first thing I would do is identify the trouble spots inside the house, where the water is coming in. Take a piece of paper, and draw the outline of your house. Add red arrows where the water is entering the house.

Once you figured where the water is coming in, you need to figure out where the water is coming from. Yellow highlighter works good here.

Once that is identified, figure out a way to make the water someone else's problem (redirect) and then work on repairing your house.

Old 05-23-12, 06:14 AM
C
Quick drawing; can take pictures later

Here is a drawing (hopefully) that shows in red where the water comes in. I don't know the source, but attribute it to grading, gutters, maybe cracks in the block, and just God's way of keeping me occupied.

I always thought the patio was fine, but then I look at how the water is being funneled to that the one corner and I wonder if it all adds to the problem. Because the basement is paneled, I am probably seeing a lot of seepage. I am considering removing the patio myself (yup) and building up the grade in the area, as well as along that entire wall. I don't want to replace the gutters, but I know there are not enough downspouts and was considering adding two, one in front and one in back. I want to figure out how to see if my underground gutters are working; the two closest to the worst areas have been replaced and should be working. Those are my ideas. Thank you for your thoughts.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: