Sump pump pipes

Old 05-26-12, 03:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pump pipes

I have a house built in 1935 with a little water in the basement. I found that one of the clay pipes under the cement floor that feeds into the sump pump pit was damaged. I sledge hammered a trench around the basement, and I will be putting PVC pipe with two holes on the bottom for drainage. I have been told to put down gravel first and wrap a ďsock ďaround the PVC pipe. I have conflicting stories as to if I should put 6 mil plastic over the pipe and or use a ground cloth for weeds over the pipe before cementing over the top of it.
What process would you all use? I have not yet laid the pipe.

Old 05-28-12, 06:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The plastic maybe ok but I see no reason for the landscaping cloth. Why is the water entering in the first place?

Old 05-28-12, 06:58 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The sock keeps the pipe from filling up with sediment. Landscape cloth over the gravel and under concrete doesn't do anything. You will want to plastic there to block moisture from migrating through the concrete into the basement.

Old 05-28-12, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The sock is not better than the right aggregate (definitely not all coarse crushed pock). The reason that french drains have worked for centuries is that they used the right aggregate, but filter fabric on the sides and bottom of the excavation before putting (under the pipe location also) in the pipe and filling.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: