Verticle Inground Drain Casing

Old 05-29-12, 01:41 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Verticle Inground Drain Casing

I have a 6" diameter hole about 16' deep through about 13' of hard digging clayey soil into some nice soft fine sand. This sand is about like we get for plaster sand around here. I would go deeper but I can not bring up more of the sand, probably because I shake it out of the auger post hole digger bringing it up. This hole is not straight but looking down it looks a little like a cork screw. I can however see the bottom.

Now I would like to case this hole with something perforated at the bottom and solid at the top. I have a choice of polyethylene perforated drain line and the same in solid. 4" is the largest I can find easily.
If I look around a little I might be able to find PVC with the same conditions of perfed and solid. I intend to fill the casing with gravel then line the hole with finer gravel that will find its way all the way to the bottom.

Now I need advice on which kind of material or another if there is one is better for what I plan to do.

I have more time and muscles than money.

Any advice?

Old 05-29-12, 01:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
My first thought is PVC with landscape fabric on the end but this assumes there would only be water in the pipe. A cap on the PVC could be drilled with whatever diameter holes you need if there would be anything beyond water needing to exit the pipe.

Old 05-29-12, 02:36 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
mitch17

Thanks for the reply. I intend this simply to drain water from roof runoff that collects in a roughly 10' square area surrounded by patio deck, pool deck, and foundation. I want to get the water well down below the foundation. For a while I thought I would never get to something that would drain. When I was about 8' down I put about 10 gal of water in the hole and it was still about the same level the next morning. I was about to give up digging then all the sudden it got easy and I was into that nice sand. I might not ever need to buy plaster sand again. I can just open a pit in my back yard.

PVC might be a little harder to find here but I haven't checked everywhere yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: