Wall flashing for Re-roofing

Old 06-04-12, 07:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall flashing for Re-roofing

Hi All,

I just bought a house, where I need to go for re-roofing as shingles are already 14 years old and not in a good condition. I already contacted with one contractor and in his estimation paper he mentioned he will strip the existing shingles and and put new shingles and will RESTORE the wall flashing. I thought that he will REPLACE the wall flashing. Is it normal to RESTORE the wall flashing instead of REPLACE? Or it should definitely REPLACE the wall flashing for re-roofing?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-12, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It might just be terminology. If he removes everything carefully and the flashing is undamaged..he may just re-use it. Why anyone would do that...I'm not sure. Time is money and new flashing is relatively cheap.

If this is step flashing I'd be surprised if will be undamaged.

The best thing is to just ask him what he means and if you want new...how much would it cost.

Old 06-04-12, 07:51 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I understood the situation from your explanation. The reason I was asking because, there were both check box options RESTORE and REPLACE. He made a tick mark beside RESTORE. Sure I will ask him to the contractor.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-04-12, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is it normal to RESTORE the wall flashing instead of REPLACE?
Yes. Not only is it normal, it is good practice.

The wall flashing starts behind the shingles or clapboard or other material your wall is faced with - the siding, IOW. In order to replace that flashing, the roofer has to uncover the wall part of the flashing well enough to remove it and install the new flashing. That may only mean prying it out 1" or so, or it could mean removing a course or two of siding. Every bit of work on loosening and re-attaching the siding is an opportunity for the siding to be damaged, requiring it to be repaired or replaced. For this reason, experienced roofers almost always prefer to lift the flashing off the roofing, slide the top course of the new roofing in place, and re-attach the flashing run-out with roofing cement. It minimizes time, materials and the potential for damage to the envelope of your house, all of which is a benefit to you.

Here's an example: When I had a former house re-roofed, the roofer and I were hoping to ease the self-flashing metal roofing on the pigeon walks out from under the bottom course of the cedar shingles on the gable ends and slide the new metal, pre-bent, in and up. Unfortunately, because a PO had painted over the stained shingles, when my roofer started easing the old roofing out, the bottom two courses just turned to dust. The consequence was that I had to buy 12 or so squares of cedar shingles, at about $200/square, to get the job finished and the house dried in. That was $2400 I didn't have in the budget, plus the labor to strip and re-cover the three gable ends. Ouch!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: