New Roof

Old 07-07-12, 12:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Roof

Hello,

First post on this forum. Recently purchased a 57 year old ranch in Rutland VT. The roof is in need of replacement. Roof is fairly straight forward with a single pitch from the ridge to the front (with the exception of a 9 X 4 foot overhang above the door. Pitch in the front is a hair less than 4/12 (about 7.5/24 from my measurements). 15 feet long.
The back has a smiliar pitch to the front for the first ten feet, then it flattens out to a 2/12 pitch for the next 25 feet.
There is a small chiminy on the back flatter part that is 15.5"x15.5" that is not being used, so I am of the mindset to remove that prior to new roofing. On the steeper part of the back there is one roof turbine that I would also like to get rid of (plans to install ridge venting).
The front has a furnace pipe and a sewer vent pipe coming out.

I have looked into corrugated and standing seam as well as shingle for the project.

What I am currently thinking (and would love input on) is... Arcitectural shingles on the front and the back steeper section, and transition into probably corrugated (possibly standing seam) for the 2/12 section. I think I would likely go with water/ice shield under the whole thing, and their should be good ventilation with the two gable vents and ridge vent.

We do get a bit of snow and ice up here in VT, additionally highs are usually mid to high 80s in the summer and lows can be down to around -15 or so in the winter (usually closer to 10 or so though).

Hopefully the pictures I have attached show up and may be helpful...
Let me know if you have any questions or need any more information/pictures.

Thanks!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-12, 02:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Shingles definitely won't work on the back, but if you plan on standing seam or overlap steel roofing, I would do the entire project from one product. Mixing shingles and steel just doesn't look good, and it is a bear to meld together. I guess you know the tarp is there for a reason......shingles. I would also check the addition for the type of support as you snow load could be considerable and a long run like that will hold a bucket full of snow

Old 07-07-12, 03:30 PM
A
Chandler,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not overly concerned about the appearnce where the tarp is as its in the backyard (with that said I would not want to go with rubber roofing)

I'll definitely look into the support. I'll also need to look into how hard it is to mix the two. Would it be any easier as far as the transition to do shingle in the front and all metal in the back?

Old 07-08-12, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'll repeat what chandler said--stay with one product for the whole roof. Standing-seam metal would get my vote in a heartbeat. You may be able to happily live with a "mongrel job" of mixed materials (assuming you are successful at joining them at their interface--good luck!), but selling the property will become a big problem in the future for you (or your widow). Very few buyers are into funky these days.

If it were mine, I'd take a very hard look at reworking the entire roof structure, going with something like a 6-on-12 minimum, front and rear. Granted, it would be a hefty expenditure, but could be a DIY project if you're reasonably handy (and ambitious). Could be framed with rafters or trusses, and either will let you add some decent insulation as well. Far better snow-load and drainage performance than what's there now, and the steeper pitch would look great on your nice piece of property.

Old 08-05-12, 07:56 AM
A
Thanks for the heads up guys. I have decided to go with standing seam on the entire roof as it stands now. It looks like for the most part it is not going to be a DIY project for me but there are plenty of other things to be done to keep me busy.

Old 08-05-12, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hey, great choice, and, yeah it may not be so much of a DIY project, but "a man's gotta know his limitations." You'll be busy.