Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Gutter slope - bottom of gutter dropping below bottom of fascia

Old 07-26-12, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So, my question is, can I place gutters so that the bottom of gutter goes below bottom of fascia? And should there be any concerns doing that?

If I hang gutters so there is a ½” clearance below imaginary extended roof line (see reference below), I end up flush with the bottom of the fascia. I really wanted to have a slope (like about 1/16” per foot).
If I slope gutters at 1/16” per foot, the bottom of gutter will end up about 1 1/8” below bottom of fascia - by the time it gets to the corners. Is that a bad thing?

I really would like these gutters to “drain” off leaves - or at least have minimum blockage (several trees; including my neighbor’s cottonwood and maple).

My house is a pretty modest old thing in a lower-middle-class blue collar neighborhood.
I don’t want it to look like a “joke”, but it doesn’t have to look like a million bucks / perfect in every way either.

As I think about it – that means the bottom of the corners would slope about 1 1/8” below bottom edge of fascia; doesn't seem like much; problem?

My specs and references:

My situation:

Slope: 5/12
My small house is roughly 38’ by 28’
(longest run 38’ – sloped from center – 19’ each direction)

My gutters: seamless aluminum; 5” K profile
Hangers: hidden (aluminum, Raytec Hangtite); every 18”
Down spouts: 3”x4” - located at corners of house

References:

This Old House says 1” every 40’ – which seems fairly reasonable:
“Gutters should be sloped a minimum of 1 inch for every 40 feet of run. Standing water may indicate a sagging or incorrectly pitched gutter.”
Gutters and down spouts

- OR –

“Gutter should be pitched 1/16" or greater per foot for proper drainage.”

“Gutters should be placed below the extended roof line so that snow and ice can slide clear. Steeper pitches require less clearance.”
GUTTER Frequently Asked Questions

Clearance of gutter below extended roof line:
5 /12 = ½" clearance

Gutter Hanger Spacing
Gutter should be spaced at maximum of 36" on center. In areas where ice and snow are long lasting, hanger spacing should be reduced to 18" on center.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-12, 02:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Do you mean that the top of the gutter will be below the fascia or just the bottom? If This Old House says 1" for every 40' & you have only 19' on each side, that's a 1/2" drop. The fascia board is about 6" wide. The top of the gutter shouldn't be below the fascia. Am I missing something?

Old 07-27-12, 07:18 PM
Thanks for replying Pulpo.

Below the drip edge I have 4 1/2" of fascia.

The back of the gutter is 3 3/4".

So, you would think I would have 3/4" to play with.

But, the main factor in vertical placement is the clearance of the gutter so that it is below the snow/ice slide zone as described here:

With my 5/12 roof pitch the bottom of my gutter will start even with the bottom of the fascia.
So, adding any slope to the gutter will mean the bottom of the gutter drops below the bottom of the fascia as it slopes to the corners (where my down spouts are located).

Old 07-27-12, 07:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see a problem if it's just the bottom, of the gutter, that drops below.

Old 07-27-12, 08:46 PM
Thanks Pulpo, that's what I'm starting to think too. At it's lowest point - at the corners - it will only be about 1" below. The slope will be pretty mild and I don't think people will even notice it is 1" below bottom of fascia at the corners unless they stand under the eve and look up.

Old 07-27-12, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
I might be missing something, but it sounds to me like you aren't shoving the gutters high enough. I think comment you make about 1/2" clearance and extended imaginary roof line are where you are going wrong. back of gutter goes behind drip edge and usually goes as high as you can possibly push it. High point is between downspouts.... 1/2" drop to the corners from the center on a 40' long house is minimum, assuming the center is the high point. Leaves rarely run out of gutters. a few might.