2 1/2 inch nails for original asphalt shingles?

Old 08-07-12, 10:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 1/2 inch nails for original asphalt shingles?

Half venting here, but wanted to ask seriously in case there is some consideration I have overlooked....

Making my first roof repair. It is a classic case study of why you need counterflashing and kickout flashing in order to avoid leakage. Previous posts have helped bolster my knowledge to undertake this. However....

When I pulled off the damaged shingles, I started to encounter difficulties. Despite the instructions for the GAF timberline series calling for four roofing nails (1.25 inch), I encountered a number of shingles with clusters of nails, and, more frustratingly, several cases of 2.5 inch standard construction nails being used. Both of these conditions made it difficult to remove existing shingles without damaging more.

Nowhere do I see this being a recommended technique. Was my builder's roofer just a lazy, or was there some other consideration that would make me use this technique when I reinstall?

And was an $8 piece of kickout flashing where the gutter and roof abutted the brick facade really that big a deal to omit???

Appreciate anyone's perspective, otherwise I am going with 4 nails per shingle....1.25 inch each!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-12, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Standard construction nails should never have been used in roofing. The heads are not large enough. 2 1/2" nails on one layer is not called for, either. Check your GAF specs also. If they are architectural shingles, it may call for 5 nails. If 3 tab, then 4 would be correct. Do what ever they say as your warranty will ride on that.

Old 08-08-12, 06:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yeah, don't copy what was done but I don't think you were going to anyway

Old 08-08-12, 07:13 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks - wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it....