Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Should we use Copper or Aluminum flashing to waterproof our terrace?

Should we use Copper or Aluminum flashing to waterproof our terrace?

Old 08-13-12, 09:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Should we use Copper or Aluminum flashing to waterproof our terrace?

We are planing to convert a roof into a terrace in our brick house.

When the previous construction was done, the workers already installed steel beams, corregated steel and a drain for this future conversion project. So this job basically requires the current roof to be pulled off, waterproofing done and then concrete poured. Additionally, the current window will be converted into a door for terrace access.

This brings me to the question in hand. Since most of this future terrace is situated above our kitchen, we want to make sure that we do proper and long-lasting waterproofing. My research has led me that proper flashing needs to be done. The question is this: Should I use copper (more expensive) or aluminum should work just fine? Are there any other suggestions?

My main goal is that we want to use something that will last a long time. We plan to put tile as our walking surface of the terrace.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-12, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
If the flashing will be in contact with concrete, you never use aluminum. Copper is best, prepainted steel or galvanized flashing is the next best thing. You didn't really say where this flashing needs to be installed, but lead sheet is another option for certain counterflashings.

Old 08-13-12, 10:32 AM
M
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The contact will indeed be between bricks and concrete.

Old 08-17-12, 06:43 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Galvanized flashing works out well, too.

Old 08-21-12, 07:03 AM
S
I would want to know what water-proofing product you are using? is it under the concrete or on top of it? how does it interact or connect to the flashing? how does the flashing meet the house? what is the exterior of the house? will the new terrace have an interior drain or will it sheet drain to the edge? All of these could affect the type of flashing you pick and the methods you use.

I realize I asked more questions than I answered but you will only get one shot at this.