Sagging Roof - Did I do that?

Old 08-14-12, 12:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sagging Roof - Did I do that?

I went to fix a leaky gutter that had no obvious place it was leaking. So I started out by cleaning the gutter and thought I would spray Flex Seal in the corner joint. Then I noticed the gutter was very full and had accumulated clumps of moss in it too. I have a concrete tile roof and then I noticed the clumps of moss on the ends of the north facing tiies. So I decided I should go up on the roof and remove the moss so that it wouldn't continue to fill the gutter over time. I managed to carefully scrap off the moss and I don't think I cracked any tiles. It was a big job. And then I noticed a sag in the roof that I didn't notice before. I weigh about 165 lbs. Is it possible I caused the sag or was it probably there already? It's an area about 4' x 6' and involves about 5 or 6 rows of tiles. Then I checked the whole roof and noticed a couple of minor sags (barely noticeable) but the 4' x 6' area is quite noticeable. Next I'll go up in the attic and check the rafters and joists, but it's about 100 outside now heading for 107 so I'll wait until early tomorrow morning to check it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 12:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I wouldn't think you would cause a sag on a normal roof. That said, there could be something wrong and you did. Yes, check the underside from the attic.

Old 08-14-12, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
While you are in the attic, check for the orientation of the substrate (plywood). Hopefully it is spanning across the rafters, rather than longitudinally. I have seen this with novice roof deckers. I, too, doubt a one time trip on the roof as light as you are would have caused the problem.

Old 08-27-12, 12:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Checked the attic

Chandler: Yes the plywood is spanning the rafters horizontally. I did not see anything amiss in the underlayment. Nor could I see any sagging. Is a little sagging here or there common? Maybe I'm just obsessing because the tiles are not perfectly straight in that area.