flashing under ridge vent?!

Old 08-27-12, 11:09 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing under ridge vent?!

There is a house in the neighborhood that was just re shingled. It was completely done now I go by today and the crew is on the roof slipping flashing under the ridgevent and nailing the side that sticks out down through the freshly shingled roof. So now there is a shiny strip that runs the whole length of the roof. I have never seen anything like this. Has anyone heard of this or do these guys not know what they are doing.

Old 08-27-12, 11:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
All I can tell you is I have ridge vent, as does the vast majority of my neighborhood, and I've never seen this.

Old 04-14-13, 04:48 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
flashing on the ridge vent opening

i just had a new roof put on, and the contractor cut the ridge vent too wide (4 1/2"),
so I am looking into installing flashing the length of the ridge vent to close the opening to GAF spec as opposed to replacing a lot of plywood, shingles, felt, adding a lot more nail holes in plywood? Thoughts?

Old 04-14-13, 05:15 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Does your roof use trusses or a ridge beam?

Bud

Old 04-15-13, 05:56 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a possibility. They are installing zinc strips on the roof to help prevent that unsightly streaking due to algae, fungus, mold, moss, lichen, mildew.

Old 04-29-13, 05:50 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If that's there idea of fixing a leak there, then there just wrong.
The right way would be to stip the shingles, add the needed plywood or OSB and redoing the shingles.
Sure this is not zinc or copper strips used to kill the black fungus that can grow on roofs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: