COPPER GUTTER, rust spot ?

Old 09-03-12, 04:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question COPPER GUTTER, rust spot ?

We had custom made copper gutters installed on our home in 1977. A few years back the supply house when I told him I had backed a moving truck into the copper gutters and torn a small tear, that since I have notice what appears to be RUST on the tear, he said under certain conditions copper will rust.

I can't find any info on line discussing such, and wonder what others have to say, or have seen such too.

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-12, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Hard to say without a picture of the damage. It would be more correct to say that copper "corrodes", not rusts. The most common reason for copper corrosion is the presence of a dissimilar metal nearby which causes galvanic corrosion.

It wouldn't be too hard to solder a copper patch over the tear in your gutter. But the area would need to be abraded (removing the patina) in order to make the repair. If you prefer, the patch could be made on the inside of the gutter to preserve the exterior patina.

Old 09-03-12, 04:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There was care taken to assure the gutters were installed with correct fasteners, and methods.

I have a couple pictures, but I don't know how to download to this site. I could E-mail such to someone though.

I will climb up on a ladder tomorrow and examine better, but it sure looks like rust. As I said, the copper salesman did say copper can rust, now he may have said it is called COPPER RUST, but I can assure you no other metals are near such.

I want to learn if it is more of a heavy stain, or actually eating into the copper.

Dale in Indy

Old 09-03-12, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
To post pictures, you first have to upload them from your computer to a photo sharing web site, such as photobucket or google+. Then you can either link to them or insert them into your message using the image button.

If the corrosion is red, it is cuprous oxide. If it is black, it is cupric oxide. Either way, a mild acid will clean the oxidation. vinegar + salt or lemon juice would be something you could test on a small area.