roof

Old 09-14-12, 02:25 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
roof

I am thinking of buying a home in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. It was built in 1957 and could use a lot of renovation. It's a 3-BR rancher and is about 32 feet long and about 24 feet wide. I would like to add living space to it and perhaps in the attic area, which does not have much head room. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on raising the roof or could I put in dormers and add space that way?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
The sky is the limit as far as price. It depends on the existing structure and what you want. Raising the roof and creating an entire second floor will obviously be more expensive than adding a dormer or two and only having a room or two upstairs. Talking to a contractor in your area may give you the best answer.

Old 09-14-12, 09:09 AM
G
Definitely talk to a contractor and an architect. It is not as simple as jacking up the roof and sliding a second floor in.

All the load bearing walls were designed for a single floor plan. There may be considerable strengthening required to support a second floor.

When you look into the attic with the intention of adding dormers, first check what would become the floor beams. They are probably 2X4's, not the 2x6's or 2x8's usually associated with floors.

Old 09-14-12, 09:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
No way to estimate something like that remotely, have three or more contractors bid the job so you can compare.

Old 09-15-12, 03:05 AM
E
roof

I thank all of you for your input. It's still in the early stages so I will keep all of those suggestions in mind. Thanks again.

Rich