chimney cap rust prevention

Old 09-18-12, 06:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
chimney cap rust prevention

I have a 7 yr old home and annually, whilst sweeping my chimney, I have to use a wire wheel to remove the cimney cap rust film, and then just rustoleum it. It takes a beating from the sun, no doubt, but this is getting OLD! Today I ground off the rust...then applied a product "derust" to stop the process. (1st time doing this) What I'd next like to do is seal it with some product from rusting again...then spraying some type of rubber product over it to keep the rain off it and prevent this maintenance for years. Any suggestion as what to use....
to seal it...
then rubberize it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-12, 06:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen a chromed spark arrestor yet but that would be the ideal product. Most of them are stainless steel & some are galvanized. I don't know know about rubberizing it since it has to take some heat. Rustoleum makes some chrome spray paint ranging from $2.00 to $60.00 per can. That might help.

Old 09-18-12, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Get some high-temperature, zinc-rich paint from an industrial supply place. Get the good stuff, with at least 90% +/- solids in it. I think I paid around $19 for the last spray can I bought, and the stuff wears like iron without rust bleeding through.

Forget the rubber idea--guaranteed to melt and burn off after the first fire or two. With the possibility of a nasty chimney fire if the dripping hot stuff gets down into the chimney proper when it's hot.