Advise on installing step flashing?

Old 09-19-12, 06:38 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advise on installing step flashing?

I recently bought a house on foreclosure that had a new roof put on prior to me buying it. They didn't put any step flashing down where the roof butts up to an outside wall. There have been a few leaks in that area and the joint between the asphalt singles and siding has been caulked. I was to take care of this before winter, but could use a little advise. What I'd like to do is cut about an inch off the siding above the shingles, so I can slip the flashing up under the siding. Does this sound like the way to go or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-12, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Bob, what type siding? In a bigger picture, you will need to remove some of the shingles in order to weave in the step flashing. At least release the closest nails holding them in. Step flashing will stick up under the siding about 4" or so. Make sure there are no obstructions for you to slip it in and under it. Otherwise, siding removal time. Caulk and silicone on a roof are not your friends, so avoid their use at all costs. They will degrade with the sun. What you are proposing seems to be the most logical way of alleviating the leaks. Let us know on the siding.

Old 09-19-12, 03:15 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chandler,
The siding is wood lap. I think it's probably going to be easier to just remove the siding and cut it instead of trying to cut in attached.

Bob

Old 09-19-12, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. Piecing things together looks.......well goofy. I think your results will be long lasting with a job done right. Let us know how it turns out.